Cocaine Toothache DropsRegister Today!
- by brian Jan 23Nurses, did you know that in the US, cocaine was sold over the counter until 1914 and was commonly found in products like toothache drops, dandruff remedies and medicinal tonics?
1885 advertisement of cocaine for dental pain in children
- 6,561 Views
- Jan 23 by CYoungLPNCool! Kinda makes sense lol
- Yep, it did....No wonder people back then were so happy
when launched, Coca-Cola's two key ingredients were cocaine and caffeine. The cocaine was derived from the coca leaf and the caffeine from kola nut, leading to the name Coca-Cola (the "K" in Kola was replaced with a "C" for marketing purposes).
Coca – cocaine
Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. In 1903, it was removed.
- Jan 23 by CYoungLPNLol drinking a coke right now...how ironic
- Jan 23 by AngelfireRNI remember hearing that. Didn't Merchurochrome actually have mercury in it as well? Or Merthiolate? Amazing the stuff we used to do and lived to tell the tale!
- Jan 23 by AngelfireRNMy Mama used to tell me about Paregoric...I accused her of making it up! LOL