Canadian nurse trying to work in U.SRegister Today!
- by Abbachri Dec 9, '11Hello, I am a Canadian nurse (only Canadian citizen) who graduated from an American University with my BSN. I have interviewed for an RN position in Virginia. I just got the call from HR stating that I recieved the position. Does anyone know what I need to do now to work in the U.S? Anything about the TN visa?
Thank you in advance for your replies
- 2,893 Views
- Dec 9, '11 by JustBeachyNurseTry checking the international nursing forum.
From USCIS website:
Q: How do Canadian citizens obtain the TN nonimmigrant classification?
A: Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a visa with a U.S. consulate or file a petition with USCIS. When requesting admission as TN workers at a U.S. port-of entry, however, they must provide proof of citizenship, a letter from their prospective employer detailing items such as professional capacity, purpose, length of stay, and educational qualifications. They may also need to provide credential evaluations. Following inspection by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer, an eligible Canadian citizen will be admitted as a TN nonimmigrant with a Form I-94 as evidence of such admission."
- Dec 9, '11 by CreamsodaYou need a social security number...you may have it if you went to school, not sure how that works though. Because you went to school in the US, the CGFNS visa screen certificate probably doesn't apply. So I would think you would just need a TN VISA which is easy to get at the border.
- Dec 9, '11 by AbbachriYes I have a social security card already. Yea I am going to have to email my employer about the TN visa i think
- Dec 9, '11 by mindlorIts not your fault and I am certain you are an awesome nurse.....its the fault of the US govt.....
- Dec 10, '11 by gettingbsn2msnIt is not this nurse fault. The fault lies at the US government for the insanity right now in healthcare. If anyone can get a job right now grab it as there are not enough jobs to go around-for anyone.
- Dec 10, '11 by Fiona59Quote from mindlorLove you, love Canadians but it frosts me that there is a US citizen that would kill to have that job......just sayin
Should we send our American co-workers home? The ones that arrived under NAFTA? The ones that have American educations and only hold ADNs.
There are Canadian nurses that would kill for their jobs .... just sayin.