ACLS certified... do I need to update BLS?Register Today!
This is a discussion on ACLS certified... do I need to update BLS? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... Hi, Last spring I became ACLS certified and it expires next spring (2013). My BLS expires at the...by jhunting Apr 3, '12Hi,
Last spring I became ACLS certified and it expires next spring (2013). My BLS expires at the end of this month. Do I need to recert in BLS or does simply having ACLS cover BLS since it is expected that you know BLS when you take ACLS? I'm mainly asking because I don't have a job and would love to save a couple hundred bucks and avoid BLS recertificiation if I can until I am involved with an organization that provides free or cheap recertification.Thanks!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=693208©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,257 Views
- Apr 3, '12 by lawandaluxnurseYes you need to recertify in BLS as they are considered two different things.
- Apr 3, '12 by classicdameagreed. In our training center you have to present your BLS card in order to get in to the ACLS class
- Apr 3, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNYou need to keep both updated. If you do not have a current BLS certification (within the past two years) you will not be allowed to sit for ACLS again. BLS is a small part of ACLS. ACLS only reviews the BLS steps because you are already certified. The actual BLS course goes very in depth into the techniques of compressions and ventilation. They are two different courses and you have to maintain both.
- Apr 3, '12 by ckh23Yes you need to renew BLS. Shop around and check out different places like your local YMCA or local college sometimes they offer AHA BLS pretty cheap.
- Apr 3, '12 by FlareYou pay a couple hundred bucks for BLS?? Can I teach you BLS?? I usually only charge around 65... but if you're willing to pay hundreds....
- Apr 3, '12 by tntrnQuote from ckh23Our hospital will not accept BLS from the Y or firestations or other "public" places. You should check on that before you do it.Yes you need to renew BLS. Shop around and check out different places like your local YMCA or local college sometimes they offer AHA BLS pretty cheap.
- Apr 3, '12 by Sun0408Yes, you need a current card. Check with the American Red Cross, classes for Healthcare professionals is around 60.00...
- Apr 3, '12 by Good Morning, GilYes, you do need both, and you will have to pay for the recert since your job will require a BLS cert as a minimum qualification. The extra ACLS may help you land an ICU or ER job, though. Both recerts are every 2 years, and once you start working, they're free!