Left handed nurses, med personnelRegister Today!
- by vanrn Apr 2Has anyone else ever noticed just how many left handed people seem drawn into the medical field? I'm a lefty myself and will often see 3 or 4 lefties at the same desk and am curious...have seen this at several facilities, mainly in ED settings, anyone else see this quirk?
- Apr 3 by SweetMelissaRNI'm a lefty and work in ED so I'm going to say yes
- Apr 3 by huskerdontI'm a lefty nursing student and I work in a medical office. I haven't been around so many left-handed folks in my entire life!
- Apr 3 by joanna73I'm a lefty, but I hadn't noticed any trends on the units I've been on. I never gave it much thought.
- Apr 3 by HouTxThere aren't many nursing situations in which 'handedness' is an issue, but I thought I'd share one... I worked with a cardiology group a few years back - they were all Lefties! And they did a brisk business in heart caths. Setting up the room required moving everything around to accommodate their lefty-ness. It became apparent that 'righty' nurses, no matter how experienced, were very clumsy working alongside them due to these accommodations. As a result, we went out and recruited some lefty nurses to train for cath lab... which solved all our problems!
I always wondered how they managed to fill any vacancies that may have occurred afterward. After all, wouldn't it have been discriminatory to limit hiring to only lefties? Or, in that case, would "lefthanded" be an actual bona fide job requirement? Hmm - food for thought.
But more importantly - what is the best supplier for Lefty clinical gear - scissors, hemostats, etc?
- Apr 3 by SunflowerinscThere have been times when there are several left handed staff where I was working. I was always the go to nurse for IV starts. Some patients would comment about the needle in my left hand. Back in the day when we charted on paper, and had lists , they would know it was my left handed check marks.
- Apr 3 by VivaLasViejasThere are lots of lefties everywhere I've worked, and many of the places I visit (almost ALL of the staff at my psychiatrist's office are southpaws). And of course, there's me, plus my mother, sister, one daughter, and one grandson (so far) who were or are left-handed as well.