Quickest Way for Getting Things Done and Licensed in US - page 33

As most of you know, I have been recommending initial licensure in NY for quite some time. And for those of you that did not heed the warning, you now know why. New York is three easy... Read More

  1. by   lawrence01
    Quote from chlyxenne
    holiday greetings to everyone!

    i am a Filipina nurse and an immigrant visa petition has been filed on my behalf. We are expecting that my interview be scheduled early next year, and hoping to leave by the first quarter of 2006.

    my transcript has been sent to BON California by my school last month. my husband is in California so I plan to take the exam there.

    Now my questions:
    1. I am planning to send my application this week (that includes: a) the Application from from the california website, b) the finger print card, and c)the bank draft for the necessary fees)... am i still missing out on something?

    2. do u suggest that I apply for an Interim Permit? I wish to work while waiting for the exam sched and the results, but do u think it is a good idea?

    3. I am still having second thoughts whether or not to go for the fingerprint card. Shoud I go for Live Scan instead? Which method can get me to take the exam sooner?

    4. If I send in my application while still here in the Philippines, how long would it take me to wait before I can finally take the exam? How about the time from getting to California until I get an approval to take the exam?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    The processing time for the Eligibility letter for CA is 4-6 months.
    I suggest you wait for your letter before going to CA, therefore you haveno choice but the manual fingerprint card.
  2. by   suzanne4
    Quote from chlyxenne
    holiday greetings to everyone!

    i am a Filipina nurse and an immigrant visa petition has been filed on my behalf. We are expecting that my interview be scheduled early next year, and hoping to leave by the first quarter of 2006.

    my transcript has been sent to BON California by my school last month. my husband is in California so I plan to take the exam there.

    Now my questions:
    1. I am planning to send my application this week (that includes: a) the Application from from the california website, b) the finger print card, and c)the bank draft for the necessary fees)... am i still missing out on something?

    2. do u suggest that I apply for an Interim Permit? I wish to work while waiting for the exam sched and the results, but do u think it is a good idea?

    3. I am still having second thoughts whether or not to go for the fingerprint card. Shoud I go for Live Scan instead? Which method can get me to take the exam sooner?

    4. If I send in my application while still here in the Philippines, how long would it take me to wait before I can finally take the exam? How about the time from getting to California until I get an approval to take the exam?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Most legitimate facilities will not hire a foreign grad without them having passed NCLEX. They want to know that you can pass it before they begin training you. Live Scan cannot be done until you are actually in the US. I would go ahead with the fingerprint card now.

    California takes on average four to six months before you will get approval. If your goal is to get your exam done as quickly as possible and you do not have to deal with any CGFNS things, I suggest that you go the route of Vermont and then just endorse to CA. It will be the fastest for you. CA takes the longest.
  3. by   chlyxenne
    Quote from lawrence01
    The processing time for the Eligibility letter for CA is 4-6 months.
    I suggest you wait for your letter before going to CA, therefore you haveno choice but the manual fingerprint card.

    but my immigrant petition is pending, and we're expecting for my interview date to be early next year...

    quick question: do i have to use both fingerprint cards they sent me? or will just one do? thanks!
  4. by   lawrence01
    Quote from chlyxenne
    but my immigrant petition is pending, and we're expecting for my interview date to be early next year...

    quick question: do i have to use both fingerprint cards they sent me? or will just one do? thanks!
    Do you know when will you actually be given the green card and leave for the US? You should confirm this 1st. If your sure your going to get it and go to the US as a green card holder in less than 6 mos. then maybe that is the best route but if it's more than 6 mos. then applying from here would be best.

    I also agree with Suzanne about applying in Vermont then endorsing to CA.
    CA and Vermont will evaluate your transcripts w/o going thru any services of CGFNS but Vermont will be faster since there are more applicants being processed for CA plus the fact that you'll get your license # right away unlike in CA where they won't give you your license # unless you already have a SSN.

    Best of luck. :wink2:
  5. by   chlyxenne
    Quote from lawrence01
    Do you know when will you actually be given the green card and leave for the US? You should confirm this 1st. If your sure your going to get it and go to the US as a green card holder in less than 6 mos. then maybe that is the best route but if it's more than 6 mos. then applying from here would be best.

    I also agree with Suzanne about applying in Vermont then endorsing to CA.
    CA and Vermont will evaluate your transcripts w/o going thru any services of CGFNS but Vermont will be faster since there are more applicants being processed for CA plus the fact that you'll get your license # right away unlike in CA where they won't give you your license # unless you already have a SSN.

    Best of luck. :wink2:
    the instruction packet is already on its way, so we're expecting probably within the first quarter of next year, il have the interview... i dont know how long before i get hold of a green card though.. we're still waiting for my medical & interview dates. that's why we decided that i start applying for nclex now so that by the time i get to cali, i wont have to wait that long anymore (if everything goes just as expected)..

    anyway, il hold my application for a while and decide if i should take vermont instead.

    big thanks for the suggestions.

    if u have other things in mind that might help me in my case, id be more than glad to know. thanks & good luck to all!
  6. by   lawrence01
    Suzanne, do you know what's the ave. processing time for Vermont compared to CA's 4-6 months? Thanks. :wink2:
  7. by   suzanne4
    Processing time is much faster, but in her case she doesn't have any immigration issues to deal with. If immigration is needed, and the VSC is required, then you really aren't saving that much time, espeically isnce you will need to endorse afterwards.

    I recommend Vermont only when the nurse already has a green card, or will be getting a spousal one. For anyone else, as per what I keep writing. I still do not recommend CA for initial licensure, even for a foreign grad, even one with a green card, as they still have to go thru the credentials evaluation that CA does on their own. Time wise it is not any faster if you have a green card, or even a US Passport, if you graduated from nursing school overseas, you still have to go thru their process.
  8. by   chlyxenne
    Quote from suzanne4
    Processing time is much faster, but in her case she doesn't have any immigration issues to deal with. If immigration is needed, and the VSC is required, then you really aren't saving that much time, espeically isnce you will need to endorse afterwards.

    I recommend Vermont only when the nurse already has a green card, or will be getting a spousal one. For anyone else, as per what I keep writing. I still do not recommend CA for initial licensure, even for a foreign grad, even one with a green card, as they still have to go thru the credentials evaluation that CA does on their own. Time wise it is not any faster if you have a green card, or even a US Passport, if you graduated from nursing school overseas, you still have to go thru their process.
    ok, im finally looking at vermont... but quick question: what if my credentials have already been sent to california? do i have to send another set to vermont? or i have no choice but to go on with cali?
  9. by   suzanne4
    If you hav enot submitted an application and paid the fee, you are free to change.

    California BRN has nothing to do with Vermont's BON, so you would need to have the documents sent to them. Our Boards of Nursing are not inter-related when it comes to applying for licensure of a foreign trained nurse.
  10. by   chlyxenne
    Quote from suzanne4
    If you hav enot submitted an application and paid the fee, you are free to change.

    California BRN has nothing to do with Vermont's BON, so you would need to have the documents sent to them. Our Boards of Nursing are not inter-related when it comes to applying for licensure of a foreign trained nurse.
    well, such a relief!! thanks for the info!

    --btw, wont i get into trouble if i apply to both (or in any 2 states for that matter) at the same time?
  11. by   suzanne4
    If you haven't sent in the application and paid the fee, then you have not applied to CA. Simple as that.
  12. by   chlyxenne
    Quote from suzanne4
    If you haven't sent in the application and paid the fee, then you have not applied to CA. Simple as that.
    oh ok... im guessing the application has to be sent prior to the crdentials.. hmmm guess iv gotten some wrong info there.. thanks suzanne! things have pretty much went topsyturvy inside my head :chuckle
  13. by   muturi
    Just to echo many in thanking Suzanne.You will never know what a jewel you are.I needed to hear your opinion on my situation.Am a Kenyan nurse nursing in Britain these last 3 yrs.I passed my cgfns and also possess an nclex pass letter from california dated july 2004. One and a half yrs after my passing nclex and i have not achieved my dream of nursing in the u.s. Do you know of any way i can substitute my california passletter into a full licence with any other state? I also think my so called agent is one of those crap groups whose hallmark is dragging their feet. How easy and/or sensible would it be for me to change representation? I need help pleeease:redlight:
    Last edit by muturi on Dec 30, '05

close