Switched to LVN from the Business World and am UNDERWHELMED!

Updated:   Published

You are reading page 3 of Switched to LVN from the Business World and am UNDERWHELMED!

Has 10 years experience.

So I’ve lurked here for years and finally decided to make an account just to talk about the chair injustice that’s going on here.

First off, I don’t find it unreasonable at all that you expected your school to provide you with a friggin chair. 

I really am just at a loss at how a school doesn’t have enough chairs for the students. Like this is a thing? Have I been under a rock and missed the great chair shortage of 2022?

For nearly 40k, someone had better find me a damn chair. 
 

IDK, maybe I’m overthinking the whole chair thing? It just blew me away is all LOL 😂 

delrionurse

80 Posts

31 minutes ago, Cheyenne McCue said:

 

For nearly 40k, someone had better find me a damn chair. 

Yeah and not complain about it.

Hoosier_RN, MSN

3,660 Posts

Specializes in dialysis. Has 30 years experience.
5 hours ago, Cheyenne McCue said:

So I’ve lurked here for years and finally decided to make an account just to talk about the chair injustice that’s going on here.

First off, I don’t find it unreasonable at all that you expected your school to provide you with a friggin chair. 

I really am just at a loss at how a school doesn’t have enough chairs for the students. Like this is a thing? Have I been under a rock and missed the great chair shortage of 2022?

For nearly 40k, someone had better find me a damn chair. 
 

IDK, maybe I’m overthinking the whole chair thing? It just blew me away is all LOL 😂 

It's not the school, its the clinical site. The clinical site is required to provide nothing but a safe experience. The clinical site generally gets 0 dollars from students being there. There may be sites that get paid, but not in my area. Many sites are saying no anymore due to covid, staffing and liability, so maybe it's one of those deals that 'be glad you got the experience vs no in-person experience'. It's easy to say that the school should provide. They don't control amenities at a location that they don't own

delrionurse

80 Posts

4 hours ago, Hoosier_RN said:

It's not the school, its the clinical site. The clinical site is required to provide nothing but a safe experience. The clinical site generally gets 0 dollars from students being there. There may be sites that get paid, but not in my area. 

Who cares about getting paid, they get free help. 

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,273 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development. Has 18 years experience.
3 minutes ago, faithjohn said:

Who cares about getting paid, they get free help. 

Nursing students are not "free help". They add to the workload.

Guest

0 Posts

38 minutes ago, faithjohn said:

Who cares about getting paid, they get free help. 

No they are not getting free help...wth.

Hoosier_RN, MSN

3,660 Posts

Specializes in dialysis. Has 30 years experience.
1 hour ago, faithjohn said:

Who cares about getting paid, they get free help. 

In many settings now, students are doing much observation, but not a lot of hands on. 4 nursing students that work as techs in my clinic. This is their complaint. I give them the gentle reminder that at least they are there in person, not in a sim lab 🤷‍♀️

Hoosier_RN, MSN

3,660 Posts

Specializes in dialysis. Has 30 years experience.
1 hour ago, Rose_Queen said:

Nursing students are not "free help". They add to the workload.

Thanks, I don't think many realize this. Regardless of how much a nurse enjoys taking a student, it adds to their workload

2BS Nurse, BSN

677 Posts

Has 10 years experience.

Most employers DO have a microwave and a break room. I choose to bring my own water from home because I don't trust the cleaning of their machines. When it comes to clinicals, you gotta do what you need to do to pass. 

If you're transitioning from the business world to the health care world, you're going to be very disappointed. You aren't going to see the same standards you may be used to in the business world. 

amoLucia

7,735 Posts

Specializes in retired LTC.
4 hours ago, 2BS Nurse said:

If you're transitioning from the business world to the health care world, you're going to be very disappointed. You aren't going to see the same standards you may be used to in the business world. 

This is ever so much true for all folk out there who seek nsg as a second career option.

Such wise words infreq spoken!

amoLucia

7,735 Posts

Specializes in retired LTC.

Amazing how times have changed! Way back, I remember some facilities being similarly cheap & not very hospitable. But by and large, almost all clinical facilities were really receptive to nsg schools and other students. And that was back at the time when there was a truly palpable hierarchy among the nsg schools. The diploma students were at the top of the pecking order. But even we 'outsiders' were welcome.

Some of the ammenities incl the sole use of clinical conference rooms for our use. We even would receive food/beverage vouchers from some. I remember being incl in some of their conferences with guest presenters.

I wonder what real underlying reason has occurred. 

gemswanson90

44 Posts

Specializes in Hospice. Has 27 years experience.

Woo! Times they have been changing. As a nursing student, do not expect Anything; the best you can hope for is a fairly nongrumpy preceptor who will agree to let you be involved with any actual patient care...and that is only if you are Not an entitled uptight know-it-all. Show some respect; you are not owed Anything from us.  Your job is to beg borrow and hope for meaningful clinical experiences.  You are not owed a chair in report, respect from the CNA or LPN on shift,  or me.  Earn it.  Or lose it.