What is a Skilled Nursing facility?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in NICU.

I am looking for a nursing home for a 90 year old relative, who requires complex or skilled medical supervision. So far, all the facilities I've researched are semi- independent living long term care facilities for the elderly. The patients are expected to be somewhat independent, able to go to the dining room for meals, go to either PT or a gym on the premises etc.

The relative I mentioned is in chronic CHF. On oxygen, multiple medications, can barely walk, needs assistance in & out of bed & to the bathroom.. she has fallen several times & has needed stitches or staples twice

I don't know how to word my queries on Google. If I type In Nursing Home, or Skilled Nursing facility, or long term care home, it seems they expect their residents to be ambulatory and assist in their care.

How do I describe what I'm looking for? She needs permanent placement in a home that can meet her medical needs, as well as offer emotional & spiritual support, & assist her with personal care.

Are any of you familiar with what we need? Facility must be located in NJ, close to ZIP 07604.

I'm not familiar with that area, so I don't know what to do.

Specializes in MDS/ UR.

I would suggest checking out your state's department of health web site. They should have information on individual nursing homes via report card and survey results.

In Minnesota we have a senior linkage line that can help consumers, other states might have a similar service.

You could try the local community help line- here we have something called the United Way line.

There is also various websites on line that might be helpful- some may be profit or not- I think of like the caregiver foundation. org or

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Department of Human Services | Division of Aging Services (DoAS)

This site might also be helpful. Nursing Homes in New Jersey: NJ Skilled Nursing Facilities

Another thought is to go in person to the best nursing facility in your area and ask if they have other homes under their umbrella in the area you need.

This is a difficult and challenging task - best wishes. Many of us have been through it with family as well.

Your relative should have a primary care physician and/or a cardiologist who might have resources you can use. Make sure you are on the authorization to share information for her (otherwise you can't get information obviously) and ask if they have a care manager or medical social worker program. If not, see if they can direct you to a local resource or agency. Best of luck, this is not an easy thing to have to do.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

This advice is not something we can provide - you have received some good suggestions. Best wishes

+ Add a Comment