Jump to content


former pediatric RNC; worked NICU for 30 years; no

Activity Wall

  • twinkletoes53 last visited:
  • 202


  • 0


  • 11,730


  • 0


  • 0


  1. twinkletoes53

    How To Spot a Workplace Bully, Part One

    Would it be possible for the RN that is being bullied by the male nurse to have a tape recorder, and audi--tape him the next time he confronts her? that way, she will have concrete proof of the bullying, and will have some ammunition when she reports him to HR and/or administration. I ask this because I was bullied by an RN that was precepting me on a new floor I was moved to, due to health reasons. Once she yelled at me so loudly that staff 10 feet away heard her. When the time came for my 12- week evaluation, nothing I said about her was given any credit. I was just told "Well, she's precepted other staff and been successful" BTW, I had 35 years nursing experience. I had worked with this nurse 15 years ago--she as a bully then, and remained one. Maybe I should not speak ill of her---she was diagnosed with cancer 6 months later, and died within 5 months. But she made my shifts with her on that unit a living hell.
  2. twinkletoes53

    If you love your job, what is your speciality?

    I have been a pediatric nurse for 34 1/2 years. I worked on the Medical floor and PICU for a total of 4 years, but when our hospital opened its NICU in March 1980, I was hooked.:) Each infant I cared for was incredibly precious, so tiny, and so perfect. I worked in our NICU for 30 years. I saw it expand from its initial 15 beds, with us doing all transports by ground, to its current 85+ Level IV NICU. We were involved in multiple national studies, such as using iNO for infants with severe PPHN, initiating ECMO on our unit, and head cooling for HIE. Evidence based practice taught us that premature infants DO feel pain, and it must be controlled, at the risk of long-term psychological, physical, and behavioral problems after discharge. We learned that too much O2 and wild swings in PO2s was a risk factor for ROP. Most importantly, we learned out how imperative it was that we included our babies' family in their day-to-day care and decision making process, and how we must always keep them updated on the progress of their infant. We humanized the babies for these parents when they couldn't be there.:redpinkhe I'd tell a parent that her child was sleeping and sucking on her pacifier. I told them when she smiled. And when a mother asked me to tell her daughter she loved her, I put her on hold, cleaned and brought the phone over to her babies' bedside, and let her tell her baby "Mommy and Daddy love you." I laughed and cried with my families, and celebrated each small victory. Each ounce gained, and each milestone passed. Due to health issues, I was forced out of my job in Nov. 2010. I have just been approved for SSD, but the nature of my physical limitations mean that I have to work from a wheelchair. A severe vestibular loss has been exacerbated by osteoarthritis, which has resulted in my having ever-increasing amount of titanium implants, screws, and pins in my joints. I miss my babies and their families desperately. But while it lasted, it was a heck of a ride.:bby: :bby: :bby:
  3. twinkletoes53

    Fired After 50, Part I: What It's Like To Be A Statistic

    "my disability pay is based on the job and hours i had for 10 weeks. i asked the hospital if they could base it on the pay and hours i had for over 30 years, and they said no." "on april 1st i will be considered to be on 'long term disability'. my income will decrease by another 20%." i got off the phone today with my hospital's disability company. worried b/c i haven't had any income since feb.11. i was told that they were reviewing my medical records to see if i qualified for long term disability. at our hospital, the first week you are disabled is covered by the employee. my disability company said that my hospital used the dates of nov.8-12 as my first week of disability. my last day to work was on nov. 7, 2330-0730 shift. funny, because the vp of human resources did not meet with me until nov.10. so apparently the hospital had made up their minds and submitted initial paperwork before meeting with me. one piece of good news: i asked my disability representative today what my pay will be based on, and she said that my hourly rate and hours will be based on the job i had held in nicu for 30 years, :) and not what i was paid for the 10 weeks while i was at the "trial" job.i am applying for sad, and was told by the government that they will also consider my last day to work to be in may 2010; the telephone triage rn job i worked at for 10 weeks was my attempt to see if i could work if i had a sedentary position. i couldn't. at this sedentary job, i took a cut in pay of over $3.00/hr., and a decrease in hours from 64 hrs.every 2 weeks, to 40 hrs. every 2 weeks in the sedentary job. so the difference in my disability pay will be significant, and it will be retroactive to may 2010. so much for the vp of human resources telling me that they couldn't pay me what i made in the department i had worked in for 30 years, due to "government labor laws." thank you, jesus. i knew that you were watching over me---i just did not feel your presence thru my grief.
  4. You know that TV show on CBS, called "Undercover Boss"? CEOs from major companies go undercover in disguise and work alongside typical workers in their companies. I would LOVE to have our CEO and DON go undecover in some of the busiest units in the hospital; one day each for a week. I guarantee they will not last more than one shift. Oh, wait....I don't know if I'd trust them with my precious babies in the NICU.
  5. twinkletoes53

    The Paws That Refresh Us: A Series of Unfortunate Events

    I couldn't stop laughing at your article. I've always had dogs. Currently I have three small, older ones. I have severe diffuse arthritis and dread the day that I won't be able to live by or care for myself. When I had my second knee replacement, one of my best friends went to my home and put my three critters in her van. Then she drove to the Rehab. facility I was in, put me in a wheelchair and took me outside to see them. I was so happy I just cried. She truly made my day. I've been in my home for over 20 years. It's a single level home, paid for, but not handicapped accessible. I climb 4 stairs to get into the house. When I had to use a power wheelchair for 2 months after another surgery I had, I scratched up my newly painted walls. Of course this couldn't have happened BEFORE I'd painted the interior of the house for the first time in over 15 years! I also scraped the wallpaper off the lower parts of the walls in my foyer. Halls weren't wide enough, plus I'd had about 2 minutes of instruction from the medical rental company on how to use my chair. The only reason I would move is to get into a handicapped accessible home, with wider hallways and no steps at all. I cannot imagine a life without my dogs. I was recently fired from a job I'd had for 34.5 years. At home, I have a 13 year old, 4.8lb. Maltese in heart failure, a 13 year old deaf Bichon Frise, and a 7 year old Lhasa Apso I adopted that was a rescue from a "Puppy Mill", and had been caged for 5 1/2 years. I told my friends, God must have known what was going to happen to me, and He said "Just what these dogs will need one day--a nurse with time on her hands!":paw::paw::paw:
  6. twinkletoes53

    Fired After 50, Part I: What It's Like To Be A Statistic

    quote: "i was given a disability packet and told to apply through the hospital's company. so i did. what i didn't understand was that as soon as disability was approved, i would be terminated by the hospital. i had tried to log in to my hospital email one day and was told that my account was restricted. that's how i found out i'd been fired. i was not given any formal written written notification of my termination until after i had called hr twice. then, i received a letter from the vice president of hr stating that we discussed all this in my meeting with her, and i knew i was to be terminated on december 3. this was a verbal discussion only." currently i bring home 50% less than what i made as a working rn in nicu. keeping my health insurance through cobra, including cancer, critical care, vision, dental, and accident insurance, is costing me $600/month, which is 35% of my monthly income. on april 1st i will be considered to be on 'long term disability'. my income will decrease by another 20%. ok, human resources. i have some theoretical questions. i met with the vp of human resources on nov. 10, where i was given the disability packet. i completed all paperwork and submitted the packet to our hospital's disability company on nov. 24. i was approved on nov. 29. * how did you know the date i would be approved for disability on nov. 10? * how could you have "told me" i would be terminated on dec. 3, when i had received the application for disability on nov. 10, and did not know if or when i would be approved? something just doesn't feel right.
  7. twinkletoes53

    Liquid Glycerin Administration in Neonates

    We used 0.2ml liquid glycerin, drawn up by our pharmacy in a 1 ml slip-tip syringe. We lubricated the tip of the syringe with a bit of KY jelly, and inserted just the tip into the baby's rectum to administer the dose. All of our liquid glycerin doses were drawn up by pharmacy, labeled, and placed in our pyxis as a charge item. If we needed a dose, we charged it from the pyxis and sent the order to pharmacy so they knew to replace the syringe.
  8. twinkletoes53

    For the first time, was "fired" by patient family

    Don't beat yourself up about it. It's happened to me at least once in my career. Some of our families were so difficult to work with that they "fired" almost every nurse assigned to their child. The Coordinators actually had a list in their office about who the families members would allow to care for their child, and whom they stated that they did not want coming near their child. You did the right thing by asking family to come in when patient was anxious and disoriented. They should have thanked you and been grateful that you cared enough to place your patient's welfare and emotional needs at the top of your list.
  9. twinkletoes53

    RN with Trach and Cardiac Issues

    i have just found a website for nurses with disabilities. it is called exceptionalnurse.com. they profile and are advocates for nurses who continue to work in spite of disabilities, such as muscular dystrophy, vision loss, deafness, wheelchair use, amputation, bipolar disorder, etc. it costs $15.00/year to join the site and access all their resources. but if you have a low income, you pay just $5.00/year.
  10. twinkletoes53


    well, i worked/trained as a telephone triage nurse for 10 weeks. i was doing well on evenings, where i worked 2 six hour shifts/week. there were 4 rns and an intake coordinator to enter all calls in computer for us. i was told that i had excellent assessment skills, but needed to speed up my calls, b/c they did not want us to spend more than 8 minutes on a call with a parent. but then the hospital wanted me to work 8.5 hour night shifts once a week. i would be the only rn on duty doing telephone triage; no intake coordinator; i could not take a break in case a call came in by fax, voice mail, or text that was an emergency. i was expected to enter all calls in the computer, and then complete them in 8 minutes. i was precepted by a nurse that would literally stand over the partition and yell at me. "what's the matter with you? focus! type faster. are you not listening to me? memorize the protocols" etc. if i'm not doing something fast enough, the worst thing you can do is yell at me. it only slowed me down more. the only thing i regret is not taping her "precepting" me, b/c when i tried to say something about it, i was not believed. other than being told by the unit director that yes, she can be abrasive sometimes. she was heard raising her voice to me from across the room by the hospital operators one night. we shared the office with them. they asked me if i was all right. i told them, "she is a stern taskmaster." ( i wish her no ill now; she's just been diagnosed with cancer.) b/c of my arthritis, i would be rigid after sitting for a couple of hours, and when i stood up, b/c of my vestibular loss, i would take a second to get my balance. i didn't even think of telling the hospital that i own a wheelchair, and if they were concerned with me hurting myself, i could always use it when i worked. anyway, i met with the director of the unit for my "90 day evaluation" after 10 weeks. the vp of human resources (hr) came into the room, and i flat out asked her if they were going to fire me. she responded by handing me the hospital's disability packet, and telling me to apply for disability. so i did. i submitted the packet on nov. 24, and was approved on nov. 29. the following week, i was logging in from home to read my work email, and found that i had been restricted from using our web page. i called i.t., who could not help me. so i called human resources the next day.....i was told..."you were terminated on dec. 3." i was stunned! i received no formal notification of termination from the hospital. i called the vp of hr twice, before she responded with an email on dec. 22, which in a nutshell said....you knew you would be terminated on dec. 3, as soon as your disability was approved. we even waited so that you would have health insurance until dec. 31, before having to go on cobra. i'd like to know.....how did the hospital know in early november that i would be approved for disability before december 3? how did they expect me to know this? why was i not given anything in writing, until i requested it twice? they have destroyed any trust i had in them, and shattered my self-esteem. i spent 34 years dedicating my life to this hospital, and defending it against anyone who criticized it. i was not given a chance to say goodbye to staff i've known for years. i've known many of the attendings i worked with with since they were residents. hell, i didn't even get a "thank you for your dedicated service" from the hospital. what a fool i was to trust them.
  11. twinkletoes53

    Disabled nurses

    Have you tried to apply for SSD? (Social Security disability). I am in the process of applying. I have severe arthritis and a vestibular loss. Have had both knees replaced and one ankle fused. Am sensitive to loud noises...even clapping or people cheering on TV bothers me. I had worked at a pediatric hospital for 34 1/2 years. was in the NICU for 30 years. They terminated me in Dec. 2010 b/c of my disability. Long story. I've postd about it elsewhere. Very upsetting to me b/c after over 34 years, I did not even get a Thank You from anyone in Administration, or a chance to say goodbye to my fellow staff members and doctors...many of whom I'd known for over 30 years.
  12. twinkletoes53

    Pulse ox not working correctly

    I do not understand why it would be Mom's responsibility. She is not an RN, or employed by your agency. She is the patient's mother. Her child is under the care of your agency. Legally, don't you think that the child's MD would be responsible for ordering a pulse ox? If he did, then it is your agency's responsibility to ensure that she has one in working order. You may try a few things to "troubleshoot" the machine....Have Mom put the probe on her finger, and see what it is picking up. Try a new probe. Move the probe to a site on her child that is warmed and well-perfused. Make sure the HR on the pulse ox. machine is the same as the patient's HR. Our machines in hospital had a "sensitivity" setting for use with patients who had poor perfusion. I don't know if her machine has that. And pulse ox. is not 100% accurate. I was hospitalized 5 years ago with SOB, for a possible pulmonary embolus. My pulse ox. was 100%, but an ABG showed a pO2 of 66, and I was placed on some supplemental O2. Luckily I had micro-emboli from surgery done 6 weeks earlier. They dissipated after I was started on Heparin.
  13. twinkletoes53

    Do you as a Hospice Nurse use a pulse oximeter?

    "I wont put her though the auto-pilot like intake that slows and frustrates the real matter at hand. She is well sedated 100mcg/h fentanyl patch w 10mg methadone,,,and quiet, comfortable and sleeping. 'massive bone masti.' Anyone watching threads? question must be ' how dangerous are we here?? cath is capped padded and tucked in well.. Sigh." I am truly, truly sorry for what you are going through. If it were my family member, I personally would not call her nurse or take her to the ER. Especially the way you described your ER. Does your wife have a DNR order? If so, would that not relieve you of any legal dangers? (If that is what you meant when you said "How dangerous are we here?") This is your decision, but if it were my family member and he was comfortable and not in pain... personally I would want to spend my last few moments with him at home, holding his hand, kissing him, and telling him how much I loved him. I am not married, but it was a nightmare when my father died. I was not there, but I would NOT have called the ER or taken him there when he had his last heart attack. My stepmother took him to the ER. He arrested shortly after arrival, and they performed CPR for over 20 minutes. He was left brain dead. I wish more than anything that he could have died peacefully at home, surrounded by his close family who loved him so much.
  14. twinkletoes53

    Do you as a Hospice Nurse use a pulse oximeter?

    The only reason I would want a pulse ox. on a hospice patient would be if his family was not there. I would set the alarm limits very low (e.g. HR 30; pulse ox. 30%). The only reason I would do this is because if the patient was going downhill and looked like he or she may die that night...if family members are not there, it would give me a chance to call them in to be with their loved one when they died.
  15. twinkletoes53

    questions on my patient

    We placed our babies directly on the biliblanket, which was covered by a thin disposable cover. We actually had a radiometer that could measure biliblanket readings. Also, although we were told that babies' eyes don't need to be covered when on a biliblanket, we always shielded their eyes when turning them prone if they were premature. Re: the IV. We always place a sterile occlusive dressing (Tegaderm) over the IV insertion site. That is just common sense to me. Why would you leave the IV site completely unprotected? Any line in the infant is a potential port of entry for infections. We also had a policy that stated that you should be able to see the infant's extremity below and above the IV insertion site. That was to detect possible infiltrations more quickly.