Boomerang Coworkers

Nurses General Nursing

Published

My work wife Eleanor and I were discussing coworkers who had left only to return, the so-called "Boomerang Employees".

I specifically noted three relatively new nurses who began their nursing career at Wrongway Regional Medical Center (WRMC) left due to higher pay, better conditions, or a rise in status and returned about a year later. I believe all three found the grass was not greener elsewhere.

The thing that I noticed that was common in all three was that they seemed to be less caring or empathetic toward their jobs and patients upon their return to WRMC. Eleanor attributed this to knowing them as fresh new nurses and seeing them again after the newness wore off.

I disagree. I have a tendency to think that they became more apathetic due to the expenditure of psyche energy as a result of their disappointment.

Or something like that.

What do you think? What are your experiences with Boomerang Coworkers? Have you ever been a Boomerang Employee?

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
before I knew it, my nose was gone, and my face was ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28036[/ATTACH]

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

"You know, Nursecard, a lot of members here on AN.com need to learn The Wonder Boys concept of "There's a story behind it, but it isn't very interesting".

You, on the other hand, NurseCard, need to learn the the concept of "Spill the beans!"

Okay... so one morning in February of 2015, I called in. We had gotten

lots and lots and lots of snow and I was sick and tired of driving around

in the stuff. I had driven around in it all day the day before. I mean,

we got a TON of snow that winter. We aren't used to snow like that in KY.

However... I had this one HH patient that I was concerned about,

and also I had told him that I would be back to see him that day.

In addition, he wasn't far from my house. So, I went and saw this patient

on my day that I had already called in. How stupid was that?

I got fired for... unethical behavior? I'm not sure what the actual

term used was.

I would go and see patients that I had scheduled on Friday.. I would see on

Saturday if I was not able to get to them on Friday. I didn't realize at the

time that what I was doing was any different. It was. I was dumb.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

I've been about the opposite of a boomerang employee having worked in the same place for 20+ years but I have certainly worked with a few. Some leave and find the grass is indeed not as green elsewhere and come back. A few have moved away and came back later. We've even had a couple that were fired and were later rehired. Thing is if they move to acute care and decide they don't like it as well as they thought they would, or even if they jump to another LTC and decide it not as great as they thought it would it be there are only so many LTC facilities in the area so eventually they seem to go full circle and end up right back where they started.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28037[/ATTACH]

My computer is really gotten as slow as... well, as slow as a computer in December. (Like the molasses in January.) I can't reply like I'd like so...anyway, thanks NurseCard for spilling the beans.

Your story, like Pig Pen in "A Charlie Brown Christmas", makes me want to treat you with a little more respect.

Specializes in Palliative.

In Canada we have long mat leaves so positions are usually filled temporarily for a year and a half to cover that leave. In SK we can also revert to our original line in three months if we don't like the new position. It makes the moves less risky to make but also means a lot of people bounce around.

I boomeranged to a job because I had taken a temp line to get out of there then was forced back when it ended. In desperation, I took a line in a totally different field and hated it so I reverted and returned the second time before finally getting a permanent line on the unit I wanted to be on. That all happened over the course of a year. The first time I came back I was miserable and got out as soon as possible. The second time, because I had chosen to revert and accept the risk of returning, it was more positive.

Okay...

However... I had this one HH patient that I was concerned about,

and also I had told him that I would be back to see him that day.

In addition, he wasn't far from my house. So, I went and saw this patient

on my day that I had already called in. How stupid was that?

I got fired for... unethical behavior? I'm not sure what the actual

term used was...

Sounds very ethical to me...I'd be happy if it was my parent or grandparent you checked in on.

Specializes in NICU.

I have a tendency to think that they became more apathetic due to the expenditure of psyche energy as a result of their disappointment.

I agree.It was the disappointment.

I've been a boomerang employee. Granted I stayed PRN, but mine was related to going back to school. I couldn't maintain my full time status at that job while attending school - the hours conflicted far too often. Once I furthered my education and experience I came back when a supervisor position opened up. I feel like I enjoy my new role at the same employer much more. I appreciate my employer for what they are.

I feel that as I have grown older I have come to have more realistic expectations. That has helped. So has working at some real dumps during my hiatus here.

There have been several other "boomerang" employees. Most have left because of different life circumstances. I feel that most come back with the same enthusiasm (or lack of) that they had when they left.

+ Add a Comment