Burnt out

Nurses Career Support

Published

I'm feeling pretty burnt out. I continued my education and got my BSN. However, I'm having a hard time finding anything outside of floor nursing...med/surg to be exact. I am starting to get that crappy anxiety feeling about working. Add to all that my mounting debt. Even with working 4-6 12 hour shifts a week I'm just getting by. I can't help but feel like I could find something that has more attractive working hours, less responsibility and comparable salary. Fairly fresh to the profession.... 2013....but kinda want to leave it. The unrealistic expectations, high patient to nurse ratios and turnover, along with just not feeling "worth it" in the profession.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

If you have been a floor nurse since 2013 you have ample experience to try some other specialties that aren't floor nursing. Look into things like education, case management, hospice intake, etc.

If you have been a floor nurse since 2013 you have ample experience to try some other specialties that aren't floor nursing. Look into things like education, case management, hospice intake, etc.

In the same time I have worked my way up from Lpn to RN-BSN....but have worked Med/surg all these years as Lpn and Rn. So "fresh" as Rn. But I don't see a huge difference in patient assignment or meds that can be given via rn.... since the bon for the state I am in allows Lpns to administer if medications as long as we had been checked off by the education department of our facility. The real difference is the closed units. I have applied to several of the closed units within mysame hospital and not getting anywhere....I.e L&D(I did a 200 hour internship in this department at another facility for my BSN) NICU, picu....I just don't want to stay on med/surg... and since the hospital pays far less then the nursing homes in the area(approx. $10) I'd like to build my skills, because I really do enjoy the hospital setting.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

The hospital pays less than the nursing homes? That surprises me.

and since the hospital pays far less then the nursing homes in the area(approx. $10) I'd like to build my skills, because I really do enjoy the hospital setting.

Are you sure that's correct? Like really?

If so, it's time to find a new hospital.

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

Can you go to another hospital? Relocate to another area?

Are you sure that's correct? Like really?

If so, it's time to find a new hospital.

This is correct. To be exact it is a $9.95 cent difference to work same exact hours at the nursing home. Starting pay at the hospital is $26/hr with average 50 cent raises per year.... first year was 3% second year was 1% third year was 2%.....they are same across the board for the department. It's the shift differentials that make the biggest difference. $5 for nights at nursing home and $1.25/hr at hospital. Base pay at the nursing home is 4.62 more.

+ Add a Comment