7th Grade Vision Screening

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I am new to the world of vision screening almost every grade. I thought that the PreK/K would knock the stuffing out of me but no...it was the 7th grade. Bless them. Most of them are super-fun to talk to but about a third of them almost failed hearing because after explaining the process ("Raise your hand when you hear the beep") they did not....leaving me to scan, present the tone at higher and higher decibels until I asked...CAN YOU HEAR THE TONE?

"Yes."

Well, raise your hand.

I caught on after the third one but there was some kind of processing delay in their brains between my instruction and their ability/willingness to do it.

Is this something you routinely see?

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Some bright bulb likely came up with the idea to play you and passed the word. We usually don't have such an issue in 7th grade.

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

Par for the course at my house. I'm guessing you don't have teenagers at home? :roflmao::roflmao:

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Par for the course at my house. I'm guessing you don't have teenagers at home? :roflmao::roflmao:

Ruby Jane Jr. is 18. Never would she ever not comply with another adult's instructions, especially someone who is medical/nursey...only noncompliant with MY instructions.

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.
Ruby Jane Jr. is 18. Never would she ever not comply with another adult's instructions, especially someone who is medical/nursey...only noncompliant with MY instructions.

True... My kiddos are usually angels for everyone *outside* the home.

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.

Had this happen in the 4th grade. Half the students failed?!? Word got around that if you "failed", you were taken to the library to be re-screened by one of the student nurses I had working with me that day. Basically = get out of class time. Once I caught on and gave them all a big lecture, AMAZING thing happened... nearly all of them passed on the first try!

Always trying to stay one step ahead of the game, but I admit, its not always an easy thing to do!

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

They know better. Lots of my kids don't want glasses, so I tell them to play seriously so we can make sure they DON'T need glasses. It always works. That or I tell them that failing hearing, would have them wear some device and everyone will know they failed.

It fixes it.

This just makes me think of my niece. Last year she made a huge fuss about how she couldn't see anything far away. My sister had brought her to the optometrist for her 1st grade check and her vision was 20/20. Niece keeps whining to any adult that will listen and faking headaches. My sister brings her back to the optometrist. Still 20/20 vision. Finally my sister goes to Claire's and buys niece a $5 pair of fake glasses and says "I got these from the doctor to help your eyes." Her vision was miraculously cured by these glasses which she didn't take off for several months.

+ Add a Comment