What would you do?

Specialties School

Published

Your district is adamant that they will not cover any professional organizational dues, no exceptions.

Would you pay $161 out of your own pocket for an NASN membership for access the VSP Sight for Students vouchers knowing that you probably wouldn't use it for much else?

(and yes, you are working with your local Lion's Club :happy:)

Specializes in school nurse.

Start charging for ice packs...

I have always been a member but mostly because I like the CE credits I can do online since I am a certified school nurse and need 75 hours of school nurse specific hours. However, if my only benefit was the vouchers - I may choose to bypass. I do the quarterly dues so it doesn't feel as expensive.

Your personal money, your choice what you do with it.

Specializes in CPN.

It depends on the socioeconomic makeup for your school. Fortunately, my PTA offered to pay for mine. Sometimes the other nurses in our district will share VSP vouchers if you have a specific need for one or two kids, so some nurses at more affluent schools don't stress about it.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

I would pay it and write it off on my taxes.

Nope never ever would I contribute a cent to a patient's care in any form. I provide the care and get paid for it. Others are tasked with paying for it. Once I start paying for patient care I become an enabler of a broken system. Sometimes you gotta let things fail before they get better

For those that mentioned it, deducting unreimbursed expenses, like scrubs, certifications and such, is no longer a thing. First off, that was only if you itemized. Secondly, "miscellaneous deductions which exceed 2% of your AGI was eliminated for the tax years 2018 through 2025. This includes deductions for unreimbursed employee expenses and tax preparation expenses."

+ Add a Comment