5 Questions to Ask if You Think Your Patient is a Victim of Domestic Violence

As a nurse, you never know when you might come face-to-face with a victim of domestic violence. Read one nurse's story about domestic violence in her life and how to help your patients. Nurses General Nursing Article

I remember the first time I had visible bruises on my arms, neck, and chest. I tried my best to hide them with long sleeves, even in the summer months. I made excuses. I told people I fell or bumped into a doorframe. I came up with any story that would keep people from asking for details.

You might be thinking, "But, she's a nurse, she knows better." Well, even as a nurse, I had the normal "victim" dialogue in my head. I worried that I provoked him or maybe even deserve the abuse. I feared that he would take my kids or convince our families and friends that I was the problem. I would have these conversations with myself late at night and know deep down that it wasn't true, but many times it was just easier to take the abuse than to create a plan to leave.

Today, almost seven years since I've been in that abusive relationship, I'm healthy and happy. This month is Domestic Violence Awareness Month - a time to talk about this challenging subject and remind others that there are countless victims and survivors around each of us in our personal and professional lives.

What is Domestic Violence

According to The National Domestic Violence Hotline, domestic violence (also called domestic abuse, relationship abuse, or intimate partner violence) is a pattern of behaviors used by a partner to maintain power and control over another partner in an intimate relationship. These behaviors may cause fear, physical harm, or force the victim to comply with things they don't want to do.

It isn't only physical. Domestic violence can be sexual, verbal, emotional, or economic. It might also be any combination of these types of abuse.

Why does it happen?

Getting into the mind of an abuser is difficult. But, research has shown that domestic violence typically starts with a desire to control an intimate partner. The abuser often feels that they have the right to control their partner and that they need to be in power. They may make their partner feel that they are not worthy of other relationships, aren't valuable, or deserving of respect.

It's important to know that abuse is a choice. No matter if it is a learned behavior from other relationships or childhood - abuse is not okay. It's a choice made by the abuser. It's never the victim's fault, even though they may tell themselves that it is.

Who Can be a Victim?

Domestic violence doesn't discriminate. It can happen to anyone regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, economic status, education, or any other factor. It can be a confusing time for the victim. They might question if they are doing something to deserve the abuse. They may feel responsible for angering the abuser. It's important to know that abuse is never acceptable, regardless of what the abuser may be going through.

Common Warning Signs

Nurses have a legal and professional duty to report possible abuse. Here are a few signs that your patient might be a domestic violence victim:

• Black eyes
  • Symmetrical bruises on upper arms, neck, or wrists
  • Marks, injuries, or bruises that are covered by clothing
  • Bruising in various stages of healing
  • Fractured jaws
  • Ruptured eardrums
  • Rib fractures
  • Cuts around the eyes or lips
  • Unexplained STDs
  • Marks consistent with the size and shape of objects like cigarettes or belts
  • Poor hygiene, skin ulcers, malnutrition
  • Hiding bruises or other injuries with makeup or clothing

Because many of these signs can be related to other, legitimate injuries, it's crucial that you ensure you obtain more information from the possible victim. Be aware that when you begin asking questions, they might become defensive. Remain calm and non-judgemental as you discuss your concerns with your patient.

Questions to Ask

As you begin building a trusting relationship with your patient, it's essential that you start asking questions that can help you gauge what's going on in their personal life. Below are a few questions that you can use. These questions range from broad to direct.

• How are things at home? - This is a broad question that can help establish what's happening in your patient's personal life.
  • When I see injuries like this, I wonder if someone could have hurt you? - This question is a bit deeper and lets them know that you have concerns. Inquiries such as this enable the victim to understand that you see things that are concerning. This might help them know they no longer need to hide.
  • You seem anxious. Is everything okay at home? - With this question, you are getting more specific and personal into the patient's home life and personal relationships.
  • Are you ever afraid of your partner? - This is a direct question that should only be asked once you've established concerning behavior by a partner.
  • Are you concerned about your safety or the safety of your children? - Questions like this one are personal and can elicit fear or anger from your patient if they aren't ready to talk about the abuse.

Speaking to possible victims of intimate partner abuse can be uncomfortable. You might not want to offend them. You may worry that you're wrong. But, not asking could leave your patient in an unsafe situation. You can also provide them the hotline number to call at another time when they are safe and away from the abuser - 1-800-799-7233.

Are you a domestic violence survivor? If so, what advice would you give to nurses who might care for someone they feel is in an abusive relationship? Have you ever helped a patient to get out of a bad relationship? Share your experience with domestic violence in the comments below.

Specializes in Workforce Development, Education, Advancement.
Why is "unexplained STIs" a sign of DV? Is there a correlation between adultery and domestic violence?

Hi, klone! I thought this was an odd sign of DV too. I searched several different sources, and it came up on all lists of s/s. One source gave some reasoning behind it - rape is included in the definition of DV. So, if it is an intimate partner known to the victim - they may get an STD if the perpetrator doesn't use a condom and has an STD. Another source stated that some perpetrators might want to give their victims their STDs without their knowledge. (kind sick - but I guess it happens). I think that Ruby Vee also brought up a good point that many abusers are cheaters - which is yet another reason why it's on the list.

I would say it's not one of the most common signs - but it did make the list on several sources.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Melissa

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

What do you think about provider's asking every single visit "Do you feel safe?" despite there being no warning signs? I ask because I was just at the clinic and was asked that very question, and I have been asked that very question every time I've seen any provider for the last couple of years. I am assuming it is policy of the health care system to ask but personally I'm always a little surprised and a little offended by it. Why on earth would you assume I might be abused without any evidence to warrant that question? I was there for a sore throat, nothing at all related to any kind of injury. Is there any indication that asking that question at every visit regardless of why the patient is being seen actually does any good?

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
Is there any indication that asking that question at every visit regardless of why the patient is being seen actually does any good?

Yes, there is.

And I have to say, I'm flabbergasted that a healthcare professional would take offense to that screening question.

Specializes in Workforce Development, Education, Advancement.
What do you think about provider's asking every single visit "Do you feel safe?" despite there being no warning signs? I ask because I was just at the clinic and was asked that very question, and I have been asked that very question every time I've seen any provider for the last couple of years. I am assuming it is policy of the health care system to ask but personally I'm always a little surprised and a little offended by it. Why on earth would you assume I might be abused without any evidence to warrant that question? I was there for a sore throat, nothing at all related to any kind of injury. Is there any indication that asking that question at every visit regardless of why the patient is being seen actually does any good?

kbrn2002 - I consider these questions part of a thorough assessment. Just like you would not pick and choose to listen to someone's lung simply because they are not coughing or complaining about shortness of breath. As a survivor - I didn't look or act like a victim. I'm a pretty strong person and being a nurse I knew what to say and do to keep people at bay. However, if someone had asked me point blank if I felt safe at home and showed some compassion I might have broken down and confided in that person and save myself years of abuse.

This is of course my personal experience and thoughts.

Melissa

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.
kbrn2002 - I consider these questions part of a thorough assessment. Just like you would not pick and choose to listen to someone's lung simply because they are not coughing or complaining about shortness of breath. As a survivor - I didn't look or act like a victim. I'm a pretty strong person and being a nurse I knew what to say and do to keep people at bay. However, if someone had asked me point blank if I felt safe at home and showed some compassion I might have broken down and confided in that person and save myself years of abuse.

This is of course my personal experience and thoughts.

Melissa

I guess maybe it's not the question itself that is bothersome to me. It's more the way it's asked. It's such an obviously required question without any indication the provider is actually interested in an honest answer, at least for the provider's I've seen.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I guess maybe it's not the question itself that is bothersome to me. It's more the way it's asked. It's such an obviously required question without any indication the provider is actually interested in an honest answer, at least for the provider's I've seen.

I agree with you that many providers ask the question by rote and aren't really interested in an honest answer. However, that means that there needs to be MORE education about abuse, and not less conversation about it.

As it happens, I was asked the question about whether I felt safe at home almost exactly a year ago. I was being verbally abused, but because there were no physical injuries, I didn't see it as abuse. When the NP asked me if I felt safe at home, I suddenly thought about my six foot tall, martial artist husband looming over me and screaming into my face and realized that I didn't feel safe. I didn't TELL her that -- like you, I didn't sense an actual interest in the answer to my question. But it was one of the things that started me thinking, and added to the other "aha" moments I'd been having recently, was one of the things that propelled me out of the door.

Why is "unexplained STIs" a sign of DV? Is there a correlation between adultery and domestic violence?

Unexplained STI's can be a sign of DV if the abuser is infected and infects their victim. What does adultery have to do with this? Adultery means sexual activity by a married person with a person they are not married to. Victims of domestic violence are not necessarily married to their abuser, and if they are having sex outside of their marriage with someone who is abusing them and contract an STI from that person, are you suggesting they are not deserving of being considered a victim of abuse?