Touro University - Nevada DNP Program - anyone???

Specialties Doctoral

Updated:   Published

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Okay, so I've looked into Touro's DNP program. I like it because it will accept my 1000+ hours of masters-level clinicals leaving me with no clinical component and I can easily (or so it seems) get it done in a year.

Has anyone completed this program? Currently enrolled?

And yes...before anyone says anything, I am usually the complete anti-DNP poster. However, I'm just kinda thinking in the back of my brain that maybe I would like a terminal degree.

Thanks for any input...

Specializes in Behavioral Health.

I believe there are a few on here, including myself, that went to Touro. It's a cost effective, time sensitive program, that was challenging but doable with a full time job. It's likely what you would expect from a remote DNP program-heavy emphasis on developing a project that translates research in to practice and very much a self driven type of program. You will get out of it what you put in to it, is really the key to this program, in my opinion. I invested heavily in my project and learned tremendously about the subject, as a result. Having a terminal degrees has opened new opportunities for me in my field (I am not an NP) and definitely believe it was worth the investment. *Caveat* I went through two years ago and the program has changed since then.

Best of luck and don't bash the DNP! We are all different pieces of a puzzle, that come together to serve healthcare.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I am a 2016 Touro grad. They finally listened to the students and are offering a part-time option. Overall, I felt it prepared me fairly well for full-time academia. My project was something I am proud of and have published and presented nationally and internationally. One of my faculty even got me looped into a textbook writing project post-graduation.

Thank you both for the advice - really appreciate it.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I am tickled. :D And jealous, because I live 20 miles from a state where I could have done this program, but decided to go elsewhere rather than move across the border! lol

Specializes in Psych.

Just finished the program. Like with any other program it has its kinks but overall very good. The pace is hectic, but I learned alot. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of obtaining their DNP. However, you will need to complete some practicum hours associated with your DNP project. Even if you have 2000 hours of clinicals as a NP they will only accept 400 ish of them (I think the number is 472 if I'm not mistaken) and you will need to do the rest for the DNP project.

Just finished the program. Like with any other program it has its kinks but overall very good. The pace is hectic, but I learned alot. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of obtaining their DNP. However, you will need to complete some practicum hours associated with your DNP project. Even if you have 2000 hours of clinicals as a NP they will only accept 400 ish of them (I think the number is 472 if I'm not mistaken) and you will need to do the rest for the DNP project.

Hmmm...weird. When I talked to the admissions person a few months ago, I was told that my two post-MSN CNS clinical hours (>1200) would ALL count. Well, thats a deal breaker for me.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.
Hmmm...weird. When I talked to the admissions person a few months ago, I was told that my two post-MSN CNS clinical hours (>1200) would ALL count. Well, thats a deal breaker for me.

Maybe they changed it in the last year. Hope so!

I realize this is old but can anyone here helps me understand if there is costs associated with the practicum hours? Do we need to pay tuition when we are doing the clinical? And what is acceptable for clinical? Sorry, too many questions. I am starting the program in a month and I am nervous with a lot of questions. Anyone willing to be a mentor? I am in California, Thanks in advance

Specializes in Gerontology, Education.

sushii, no costs for me. I just needed the sign-on by the DON of the facility.

Specializes in Gerontology, Education.

trauma RUs, "If your MSN was in an area of advanced practice nursing, you will not be required to take any extra practicum hours, only the practicum hours incorporated into the standard curriculum." per their website. My MSN was not in an area of advanced practice nursing, it was in nursing administration so I had only 120 practicum hours when I entered the DNP program. Still I managed to complete this program in 1 year.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, jeanbeth said:

trauma RUs, "If your MSN was in an area of advanced practice nursing, you will not be required to take any extra practicum hours, only the practicum hours incorporated into the standard curriculum." per their website. My MSN was not in an area of advanced practice nursing, it was in nursing administration so I had only 120 practicum hours when I entered the DNP program. Still I managed to complete this program in 1 year.

THanks. My MSN is actually in Management and Leadership, but I did two post-MSN certificates: Adult and Peds CNS so I had 1200 hours of clinical from those certificates

+ Add a Comment