Teacher Frustration!!!

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

I just keep telling myself to let it roll away and not worry, but its the same flipping teachers every time - sending kids for god knows why, so that when they get to me and I ask the kiddo what I can help them with, they literally shrug and say "I don't know, the teacher told me to come".

I've thought about employing a note/nurse's pass system, but in a school where that has not been the norm for the past 18years, I'm not sure how well it will go over... I'm getting to the point with one teacher that I'm about ready to blow a gasket and its exacerbated by her RBF. I think she thinks she needs to in some way exert authority over me, or maybe I'm just sensitive.

Sorry to rant... I'm sure it will get better. Sigh....

Specializes in School Nursing.
I just keep telling myself to let it roll away and not worry, but its the same flipping teachers every time - sending kids for god knows why, so that when they get to me and I ask the kiddo what I can help them with, they literally shrug and say "I don't know, the teacher told me to come".

I've thought about employing a note/nurse's pass system, but in a school where that has not been the norm for the past 18years, I'm not sure how well it will go over... I'm getting to the point with one teacher that I'm about ready to blow a gasket and its exacerbated by her RBF. I think she thinks she needs to in some way exert authority over me, or maybe I'm just sensitive.

Sorry to rant... I'm sure it will get better. Sigh....

Get permission and institute the system!!! No student walks into your clinic without a pass from the teacher that states why they are being sent. No exceptions.

It WILL cut down on the 'go to the nurse'.. once teachers have to stop, get the notes and write out why they're sending them, they realize how ridiculous some of the reasons are. It's also a hassle, so if it's easier to say, "go sit down" then to write a referral for nothing, they'll tell the student to go sit down.

Do teachers send kids to the principal without a reason? Are kids allowed to just wander around without a pass?

A nurse's note system sounds like a great idea. Don't sell yourself short, bring up the idea, make some samples. Don't just wait for it to get better, make it better. And don't let anyone make you feel small.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Mr. Ruby Jane (also a nurse) has a "kill them with kindness" philosophy that I started employing with my new teacher friends who send kids for a) bloody noses that stop bleeding before the kid gets to the clinic; b) "a mint"; c) "Some ointment."

I call them. Every time. To explain why I can't do anything/doesn't merit the loss of instructional time. With a friendly "I'm so sorry, I can't even give out lotion - can you believe it?" Also yes, institute the nurse passes!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see how the next couple weeks go before approaching the note system. It seems that for the most part, the other teachers are really good about making sure the kids aren't coming for nonsense reasons, so I'd hate to subject the entire faculty to something for one or two teacher indiscretions. But having the support is very helpful :) So glad to have such a great resource at my fingertips!

When I took over as school nurse, it was following a very 'out of date' Nurse who was in the position for 16+ years. There were many (good) changes that I implemented over time. One of them was the "pass" system. I was fortunate that the Principal at the time agreed, so they really couldn't balk. No student was allowed to see me (except in a medical emergency) without a pass from the teacher. The pass had to include: student's name, the date, the time they left, a brief reason for the visit, and signature/initials of teacher. If they did not arrive with a pass (and were not in medical distress), they were simply sent back to class.

A bigger benefit to consider is that no student should be taught to see "doctor", "nurse", "hospital", etc as a resource to go to without having a specific need. Don't we see that already? People go to the ER regularly for issues that are not even close to emergent. I worked hard to instill in my students that 'I'm here for medical that is occurring during the school day' and expected little issues that arose days ago to be addressed at home, with their parents (but I was middle school - I would likely have modified this a bit for the little ones). Over 4 years, my kids were fantastic about coming to see me! Even when it was for an issue "days ago" they would always start with: "I DID tell my mom... but she wasn't sure...". FANTASTIC! They communicated with their parents! Anyway - schools are there to educate, teachers need to respect that we do a great deal of our own education and they should not interfere with our "class". Best of luck!

One reason that I had support for the pass system is the simple fact that I stated the system proves that the adult from where the student is coming from is aware that child left their responsibility and the student returns with the pass with my notes to prove time they left my office. If a student shows without a pass, I tell them I have no idea that your teacher is aware you left the classroom, so go back and get one. The pass also proves a great communication tool for the parent or guardian when phone calls are not warranted.

Using a pass system definitely gets my vote. I work in multiple schools each day, and just instituted a pass system in the one school that didn't already have it. I haven't heard any complaints yet, and we're a couple weeks into the school year now. We use a small triplicate form. The teacher fills out the student's name, teacher's name, date, time, and reason for visit. Then we fill out our findings, treatment, notes, etc. One copy is kept for our records, one is for the teacher if they'd like to keep a copy, and one goes home to the parents. It's a great help.

I love the idea of the triplicate pass idea!! If only our district had enough funds for something like that.... I received one box of gloves for the entire year this year..... but that's another story!! Thanks again everyone, you're giving me a lot of good ammo to arm myself with if this comes to a head.

Specializes in school nurse.

Charge a co-pay.:yes:

I once yelled at a teacher aide. I apologized after

To me, staff are really the hardest part of the job. Even the parents are not as trying to my nerves as the teachers are!!!

I have really learned to try to not let things bother me like I used to. I have been doing this 13 years and have learned to pick my battles. I will always advocate for what is right for the child at the end of the day though if needed.

I try to institute a pass system and most teachers abide by it, the ones that don't (and won't) - I just let it go (not worth me worrying about). The ones that send me silly stuff even despite my many e-mails and presentations - I assess those kids quickly and get them back to class. Though, I have been known to hold those kids a long time and for some teachers that made them actually decrease visits. Trial, error and sometimes passive aggressiveness will work.

And really, to me the hardest part of this job is the teachers - even worse than parents!!!

+ Add a Comment