Racial Discrimination in the Nursing Profession

My article describes what racial discrimination is and how it can be present in the nursing profession. I included a personal story of my own experience with racial discrimination and the negative effects that it had on me. I also provided a few tips on how to deal with racial discrimination appropriately and ended the article with an opening for other potential comments or stories. Nurses General Nursing Article

Racial discrimination is the discrimination of minority individuals based on their race, skin color, or ethnicity. Racial discrimination is a popular topic today evidenced by instances of police shooting unarmed suspects and individuals calling the police on minorities for no reason. The problem is exacerbated by social media videos and political influences. Racial discrimination can occur in any setting including your work setting, stores and restaurants, a job interview, and even applying for credit.

The nursing profession is not immune to the problem of racial discrimination either. Less than 25% of the nursing workforce in the United States are minorities. Racial discrimination can be the basis for failures to promote, termination, patient requests, and disciplinary actions. Have you ever been told that the patient requested "only white nurses", or they stated that they "did not want a black nurse"? These are some examples of racial discrimination demonstrated by patients in the nursing profession. Minority nurses may experience racially motivated bullying and feel as if they are being talked down to by other members of the interprofessional healthcare team, such as physicians, managers, supervisors, administrators, and even colleagues and coworkers. The failure to promote based on racial discrimination has been happening for years and is the basis for many discrimination lawsuits.

My Story: My own personal experience with racial discrimination in nursing stemmed from a situation of failure to promote. I had been an employee working for a healthcare facility for approximately three years. In the course of my employment, I had obtained a Bachelor Degree in Nursing and was working on a Master's Degree in Nursing Administration. A month or so prior to the incident, I was trained in the charge nurse/supervisor role and began to fill in in the absence of the supervisor. When the supervisor was promoted to the nurse manager position it was expected that I would move into the open supervisor position. The position was posted and there were both internal and external candidates. During the application and interview process, I continued to fill in in the supervisor position, which lasted for a little over a month. I was eventually notified that the position had been given to another internal candidate who had not even completed the 90-day probation period. Other contraindications for this promotion included the selected candidate not having a bachelor's degree and not being already trained in the position. We both had charge nurse and supervisory experience, although she had been a nurse longer than me, I had more experience in that specialty and setting. The only major difference between us was race. How can a new employee with less experience and credentials be chosen for promotion over a 3-year employee with the experience and credentials, and already trained and doing the job? I asked myself the same question. Even after the other nurse was promoted, I continued to fill in as the relief charge nurse. So did that mean I was good enough to fill in but not good enough to be the permanent supervisor? The whole situation affected me very negatively. I lost confidence in myself and began to think about quitting the master's degree program. I began to question if it even mattered that I had an advanced degree because my race and skin color would block me from moving up in the nursing profession. I became so discouraged and disillusioned with being in nursing administration and eventually changed my concentration to nursing education. For days it clouded my thoughts and judgment. I had trouble sleeping and just felt bad in general. Eventually, I decided that I had to address the situation in order to move on.

There are measures you can take to protect yourself against racial discrimination. Racial discrimination is a violation of the "Civil Rights Act of 1964". Minority nurses who feel that their civil rights have been violated should first file a complaint with their organization's human resource office. In some cases, a complaint must be filed with your organization's corporate human resources office. If the issue is not resolved, the nurse may choose to take action outside of the company and retain an attorney for the potential of filing a Civil Action Lawsuit. In some instances of racial discrimination, you may react negatively lashing out or becoming indignant. This is the wrong action to take. When dealing with instances of racial discrimination in nursing remember to:

• Confront the situation but stay professional
  • Keep a written record of occurrences
  • Do not quit your job
  • Attempt to resolve the issue internally
  • Seek outside counsel if necessary

Being racially discriminated against may not be a big deal to some, but the truth is discrimination can affect you mentally, emotionally, and even physically. No one should be allowed to make you feel diminished or second best based on the color of your skin. Are there any other minority nurses out there who have experienced racial discrimination in nursing?

Some people are really revealing themselves in this thread.

OP is speaking from their experience and some immediately dismissed it, attempted to change the subject, basically demanded a thorough explanation, etc.

If that's that person experience why do you feel the need to critique it or that you're owed an explanation when it happens almost daily in many cities across the country? Some parts of AL are very racist. There are several incidents to validate this just within the past few months alone so OP's experience isn't that impossible to believe but some folks just love to be contrary and get defensive whenever there's a discussion about race brought up.

From my experience, these are the same people who are either guilty of the racism tactics discussed or engage in bigoted behaviors themselves. Not everything is meant to make you uncomfortable. When someone tells you their experience, listen. Asking questions is fine but as soon as you go to "the race card" or other such banter you immediately let others know you're not to be taken seriously. No matter how you try to hide your subliminal racism, you will always reveal yourself. You also shut down any chance of a real discussion because it appears as though your mind is already made up.

When you're on the receiving end of racism all the time, no one can tell you how to accept it and/or what's racist. We've seen it enough. The microaggressions are very real.

That's just my $0.02. I'm not arguing semantics or engaging in drama either (for certain people in this thread who seem to thrive off of it) but go off. :up:

So, I don't want to get into a debate on your situation, as none of us was there. If you believe it was racial, you're the person who has the most facts about the situation.

I do want to share a story that happened at my hospital (also Alabama) awhile back. We had someone in your same position, she was a white woman who was a staff nurse in one of our departments, but she also filled in as a relief hose supe. 20+ years of experience. When one of the full time supe positions opened up, basically everyone was rooting for her to get it, because she did a very good job when she filled in. The position was filled by an external candidate, another white woman roughly the same age. The other house supervisors told us it was basically a "political" move, and she had been on track to get the job until a certain person with the right connections, who had something personal against her spoke up.

See it all the time. Our midlevel boss was up for a job to be floor supervisor. She'd been doing it pretty much before the other floor sup was fired. Did she get it...nope. An external hire got it. She was BFFs with the head of the hospital nurse. She's a horrible boss. I'm not sure after a year that she even knows my name. She worked at this hospital a long time ago and all the older nurses said she couldn't nurse her way out of a paper bag. 🤷🏻*♀️

Specializes in 8 years Telemetry/Med Surg, 5 years Stepdown/PCU.

I've seen it happen a thousand times. Why do people automatically think minorities are playing "the race card" when we speak of inequalities!

Exactly! At my hospital there are no nurses of color in management

I worked at a very racially diverse hospital. But when I actually thought hard about it after reading this thread, I realized that I can't think of even one unit manager who wasn't white. So although minorities were hired in healthy numbers, they weren't put in positions of higher responsibility.

In the South, you will see many minorities in bedside positions. To all the ones saying i work at a diverse facility, how many minorities are in higher management? And I'm not referring to just charge nurse positions. I have seen more women of color in higher management positions up North, west and east coast and this is why I'm ready to move from the south. Racism is alive & thriving!

Another form of discrimination we don't talk enough about is age discrimination. This effects people of all races and ethnic backgrounds. I'm going through this right now. I would like to return to nursing after being on FEMLA, but all I get is rejection. I'm 57, with a BSN. They only look at my 9 year absense.

https://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/what-you-need-1174314.html

You're welcome.

Is no one willing to admit that not every time a minority doesn't get their way, racism is not the only possible cause?

Let's be very clear pro-student, not EVERY minority claims racism when they don't get their way.

The OP listed ONE experience she went through where she felt race was at play. She never said that every incident in her life where she didnt get her way was due to racism. You claim to want to unite us nurses to address racism in the workplace but your language is inflammatory and insinuates that minorities "cry wolf" and "pull the race card" when they don't get their way, which essentially proves the point that you don't believe when minorities share what they feel is their own truth. Just like we are taught in nursing programs that pain is the 6th vital sign and when someone complains of pain, believe them; there are countless stories similar to the OP where subtle (or obvious) nuances in behavior or treatment stem from racist ideologies, which leaves lasting impressions.

Specializes in SICU,CTICU,PACU.

"Less than 25% of the nursing workforce in the United States are minorities" This cannot be true. I think it is the opposite? Im not saying racism doesn't exist but the majority of my coworkers are minorities including our manager.

"Less than 25% of the nursing workforce in the United States are minorities" This cannot be true. I think it is the opposite? Im not saying racism doesn't exist but the majority of my coworkers are minorities including our manager.

How about you google it. Then come back to us with your research.

Let's be very clear pro-student, not EVERY minority claims racism when they don't get their way.

The OP listed ONE experience she went through where she felt race was at play. She never said that every incident in her life where she didnt get her way was due to racism. You claim to want to unite us nurses to address racism in the workplace but your language is inflammatory and insinuates that minorities "cry wolf" and "pull the race card" when they don't get their way, which essentially proves the point that you don't believe when minorities share what they feel is their own truth. Just like we are taught in nursing programs that pain is the 6th vital sign and when someone complains of pain, believe them; there are countless stories similar to the OP where subtle (or obvious) nuances in behavior or treatment stem from racist ideologies, which leaves lasting impressions.

Wow. It would be really nice if you could read before you call names.

I NEVER said every minority claims racism when they don't get their way. I never even said a single one has. I did, however, say that just because a minority doesn't get his or her way, does not mean racism is at play.

But let me ask what is the big picture here? I agree with the OP that racial discrimination is alive and well in nursing. But is the point just to have a pity party? Because, my point in asking us to think critically about claims of racial discrimination is not to deny them but to suggest that, if we want anything to change, we are going to have to do more than make claims.

Can you honestly tell me someone who is skeptical about racial discrimination would believe the OPs account is an example of such? Of course they won't. If we want our claims taken seriously (and apparently that's a big IF because most posters on here seem to just want to express pity) then they need to be credible and reported to the agency that has a responsibility to take action. If someone experiences racial discrimination in the workplace, odds are it is not limited to just one person. My reporting allegations, incidences can be formally documented, claims can be investigated, and patterns can be established. All of this will go much further in weeding out discrimination than a long list of sympathy notes.

That was my only constructive criticism of the article. It suggest individuals can pursue civil litigation but never advises involving the EEOC. And the example in the article is easy to dismiss by those skeptical that racial discrimination exists. Look, you can attack me personally because you think it is insensitive or unfair for the burden to be on the person who experienced discrimination. But guess what? It is. And if we want anything to change we can't shirk that reality. However, the consensus on here seems to be that we just want to comment on situations we feel we discriminatory. Great, that's totally fine. I'd call that preaching to the choir but choirs need preaching to. My argument is that to get anything to change we have to involve people who are not going to believe a claim of racial discrimination just because.

The OP wrote an informative article which is fine is that's the goal. She informed us that racial discrimination exists and told her story. Nothing wrong with that. BUT, to change anything we need a persuasive article that can inspire meaningful action. Maybe the OP doesn't want to do that. That's fine. But I was taking the opportunity to move the conversation into a discussion on what can we do now that we know racial discrimination exists in nursing.

STAFF NOTE - EDITED QUOTED POST DUE TO EDITING

According to MinorityNurse.com:

"How do minority nurses self-identify? 9.9% of RNs are black or African American (non-Hispanic); 8.3% are Asian; 4.8% are Hispanic or Latino; 1.3% categorize themselves as two or more race; 0.4% are American Indian or Alaskan Native."

That would put the total at 24.7%

How about you google it. Then come back to us with your research.

Since the OP use the statistic in her article, it would customary to give some reference or source. It's not the reader's job to make and support the argument.

Specializes in Pediatrics.

A prime example of how racism plays out at my job:

I'm biracial, but with my light skin and dye job, I am perceived as a white woman. I am treated differently at my job in subtle ways -- I am seen as more approachable and less aggressive. I am the first one to whom OT is offered, more likely to be given cash incentives, and when I cop an attitude, I am never called aggressive or accused of having an attitude problem. I'm perceived as "easier to deal with" and reap the benefits. All of administration, the board of directors, everyone in upper management are white, despite the majority of the nursing staff being black employees who've been with the company for 20-30 years. We promote from within. No one has put in the work to train up, empower and elevate a woman of color. Friends promote friends, and when the people at the top are white, it becomes a self-perpetuating thing.

Management/owners are not overtly racist. They believe equality is important. But they do not have self-awareness of how their bias plays out. If black women disagree, they are labeled aggressive. When they talk with their close circle of friends during report, the cadence/speech changes to reflect who they are versus the professional code-switch they must use in front of patients/coworkers to sound "white" and thus, "appropriate." They are then called clique-ish for this, when really they are finding solidarity with one another. They are more regularly reprimanded and cited for behaviors that the rest of us exhibit, because there is a spotlight on "ghetto" attitude.

The worse thing is black women are called aggressive, but when there are patients whose families are obnoxious/troublesome, management says "hey, let's put them with [black nurse] because she'll keep them in line and scare them into acting right! They'll get intimidated and leave us alone!"

Racism is constantly labeling black women as aggressive to deny them professional respect, accolades and rewards, then weaponizing them in order to do your dirty work. It's not fair, it's not right, and this is why we need to work harder to educate ourselves and elevate people of color to positions of leadership.