Are We Letting Our Patients Suffer?

The title says it all - has the pendulum swung the opposite way? Are we providing adequate pain relief for our patients or holding back for fear of addiction? Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

Recently I had a patient who fractured her femur, mid-shaft. She was unable to have it repaired due to multiple co-morbids. So, she was given a brace and told it would have to heal in time. She developed some wounds from the brace and it had to be removed. She goes to the wound clinic once per week, dialysis three times per week and each time she is transferred by a Hoyer lift into her wheelchair, transferred to the nursing home van and then, at least at dialysis is then transferred again via Hoyer to the dialysis chair. XRays done recently showed nonunion of this fracture which can be attributed to several factors: malnutrition, hyperphosphatemia, osteoporosis.

For pain, she has been Rx'd with: fentanyl 62.5mcg patch changed every 72 hours, percocet 10/325 one orally every 8 hours as needed and tylenol 650mg every 8 hours as needed. Prior to her femur fracture, she had been on a fentanyl 50mcg patch changed every 72 hours as well as Percocet 5/325 every 8 hours as needed due to severe osteoarthritis - made worse by end stage renal disease.

She comes to the dialysis unit crying in pain due to the 10 mile ride from the nursing home to the dialysis unit. There is no medication to give her at the dialysis unit except tylenol. Her pain is not controlled well - she continually rates her pain 8-10/10. She is physically addicted to opioids due to several years of chronic pain meds for her multiple disease processes. When I spoke to the nursing home staff, I was told "we can't continue to contribute to her addiction."

Another incident - a friend (fellow APRN) underwent major abdominal surgery recently. She was opioid naive and prior to her surgery, took no medication. She was healthy and had NKDA. Post-operatively she was given Norco 5/325 one every 8 hours as needed as well as ibuprofen 600mg every 8 hours. However, she rated her pain in the first 24 hours consistently 8/10. One nurse made the comment that she (the nurse) was sorry but the doctor "didn't want her to become addicted."

Two recent incidents, different patients, different reasons for pain yet both were denied adequate pain relief.

Have we gone too far in the opposite direction?

Are we letting our patients suffer in the name of patient safety?

"The National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimate that in the United States, 25.3 million adults have chronic pain." What are we supposed to do? As providers we want to provide adequate pain control for both our chronic pain patients as well as for those with acute pain. "A team of researchers at Wake Forest University and the University of Bath in the U.K. is exploring a new kind of opioid that could relieve pain without affecting breathing or raising the chance for abuse. The new drug, only called by its chemical compound name BU08028, relieved pain in rhesus macaque monkeys. When they had the opportunity to take as much of the drug as they wanted, they didn't abuse it. When taken off the drug, they didn't show signs of painful withdrawal." Perhaps this will be a new medication for both chronic and acute pain.

Some other suggestions:

• Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen - can be used either alone or as an adjunct
  • Cognitive behavioral therapy has been used successfully for acute worker's compensation injuries
  • Ketamine is now being used for acute pain. Recently the journal AACN Advanced Critical Care included a Drug Update about the use of ketamine in the ICU.

So, what to do? Are we helping to prevent opioid addiction or are we letting our patients suffer needlessly? What are your thoughts?

Yes, absolutely the pendulum has swung too far. Unfortunately many innocent patients have been impacted in the government's war on opiates. My own mother in fact, who has chronic degenerative osteoarthritis and is in a physician monitored chronic pain management program. Anyone on long term chronic pain medication will develop physical dependency, and we have to deal with this issue every time she goes into the hospital. We always explain her pain management program regimen, and share the information with everyone who is responsible for her care, from the physicians to her nurses, all of it a waste every time. They refuse to order her any pain medication, and in order to avoid withdrawals, she has to keep her home meds with her, hidden from the hospital staff. Her pain management doctor has had to reduce her dosage 3 times in order to comply with DEA regulations because the government has decided what constitutes a proper dose of narcotic. He told my parents a government agent visited his practice and told him he was "abusing" his patients. He said he had never been spoken to in such a manner before. Here he is, devoting his career trying to help people lead better quality lives and he's being accused of being a sleazy pill pusher.

I've heard that anti-anxiety medications are next in this war.

Specializes in Oncology, Home Health, Patient Safety.

I'm so glad someone has the courage to talk about the other side of the war on opioids. I'm teaching patient centered care to brand new nursing students, and these new laws on pain medications violate everything we are teaching new nurses: treat the patient, pain is what the patient says it is. I know we are trying to find alternatives to opioids, but it can be very difficult to do patient centered care in the face of these new laws. The stories ya'll have posted are heart breaking. We have to advocate for our profession. Join the ANA, donate to the PAC and speak out. It's great to see your voices here on allnurses.com, but we MUST speak up in public and political forums if we want things to change. Only 3% of nurses are politically active. Imagine what we could accomplish if it were 90%?

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
I'm teaching patient centered care to brand new nursing students, and these new laws on pain medications violate everything we are teaching new nurses: treat the patient, pain is what the patient says it is.

I'm not sure that this is how we should be teaching nursing students, perhaps it is time for nursing to update the way we think about pain management to be more dynamic and patient-centered than just having pain be pain.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I agree pain is being ignored for many patients. We need to be forward-thinking but realistic.

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
Her pain management doctor has had to reduce her dosage 3 times in order to comply with DEA regulations because the government has decided what constitutes a proper dose of narcotic.

The DEA does not have any regulations that limit the dosing of CSII meds. There may be state regulations or insurance quantity limits that impact this. Also, it is important to note, trial dose reductions are recommended at regular intervals to ensure patients remain on the lowest possible effective dose.

I've heard that anti-anxiety medications are next in this war.

Beznodiazepines are also addictive, associated with poor outcomes especially in the elderly, and vastly over/inappropriately prescribed.

Specializes in M/S, LTC, home care, corrections and psych.

The antibiotic that was also prescribed at the time should have greatly reduced the pain after 48-72 hours.

The antibiotic that was also prescribed at the time should have greatly reduced the pain after 48-72 hours.

Am unsure who you are referring to?

this thread was too pain for me to participate in when it first came up. in fact i a crying now. i lost a looong term friend to this undermedication issue several days before it was started. try getting tylenol only afte a fem/fem bypass, within 12 hours of surgery, "we have to do this, it is too far after sugery to get stronger" 12 freaking hours. the patient made it home, died several days later. So, yes, tell the stupid freaky Puritanical idiots to stay away.

this thread was too pain for me to participate in when it first came up. in fact i a crying now. i lost a looong term friend to this undermedication issue several days before it was started. try getting tylenol only afte a fem/fem bypass, within 12 hours of surgery, "we have to do this, it is too far after sugery to get stronger" 12 freaking hours. the patient made it home, died several days later. So, yes, tell the stupid freaky Puritanical idiots to stay away.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Specializes in Public Health, TB.

I cannot like this or Trauma's post. I too am sorry for your loss.

Here is my current situation and I'm sorry for going on about this. I have a torn left rotator cuff. I also have C4-C7 bulging and prolapsed docs causing nerve root compression of several nerves.

The shoulder doctor pulls up my narcotic history. I have taken no narcotics since November 2017. I had a csection in August of 2017, subsequent infection in my uterus at the surgical site, had a gallbladder attack in October of 2017, then gallbladder removal in November. I had to defend those narcotic scripts from 12-15 months ago.

I've been refused pain meds the past 2 months. I can't even lift my child. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night due to the pain.

Tomorrow, I get epidural injections. I'm not allowed ibuprofen for the last 5 days leading up to the injection. Ibuprofen was all I had. Today I had a root canal. Can't take even ibuprofen.

How is this right? I've been told it can up to 2 weeks for these injections to work. I'm the grumpiest, most hateful person right now.

+ Add a Comment