Bad day......need thoughts

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So a bad day of orientation. I've been a nurse for 11 years. Just went back to med surg. Today we had a slightly emergent issue and I was asked to spike and prime tubing with NS. The IV bags I find hard to pop the tubing entry and though i had popped the top. Other nurse walks over and pulls it out of my hand and pops the top. Gives it back to me so I'm priming the tube and halfway through she reaches over and yanks it out of my hands and proceeds to put it in pump and looks at it and says did you prime it? I said I was in the middle of priming when you took it from me. Made me feel stupid and uneducated. On top of that I've either had a preceptor that is a new employee and focused on tasks so I dont get hands on computer documentation etc......or i get someone that is so used to computer doc they blow through. I'm getting so very frustrated. Any thoughts would help.....thank you.

So a bad day of orientation. I've been a nurse for 11 years. Just went back to med surg. Today we had a slightly emergent issue and I was asked to spike and prime tubing with NS. The IV bags I find hard to pop the tubing entry and though i had popped the top. Other nurse walks over and pulls it out of my hand and pops the top. Gives it back to me so I'm priming the tube and halfway through she reaches over and yanks it out of my hands and proceeds to put it in pump and looks at it and says did you prime it? I said I was in the middle of priming when you took it from me. Made me feel stupid and uneducated. On top of that I've either had a preceptor that is a new employee and focused on tasks so I dont get hands on computer documentation etc......or i get someone that is so used to computer doc they blow through. I'm getting so very frustrated. Any thoughts would help.....thank you.

Just get through orientation. And while you're getting through it, try not to take things personally. You don't know these people and they don't know you. Assume no offense was meant, and hopefully they'll give you the same consideration.

It's hard being new, particularly when you're not a new nurse but just new to a practice area. Try to be receptive and patient to the imperfections of learning on the job. Sometimes during an emergency people will take over and may be brusque about it. Nothing personal. You're new and are expected to be slower. Take time to go through tasks and situations you'd like to improve on or found frustrating.

Soon this will be water under the bridge.

Yes you guys are right. Just frustrating. I appreciate your words of support. Thank you very much.

I did some embarrassing things on orientation that made me want to drop through the floor and disappear. But those days passed and I survived! , If anyone noticed, they didn't make a big deal about it probably because they know it happens to everyone in a new situation. I don't think anyone remembers any of those things.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Any new job is hard. If it was an emergent situation maybe that nurse was just a little stressed also. Agree with others, don't take it personally and just get through it. You will figure out much more after orientation when you are working on your own and not stressed so much about what your preceptor thinks. Everyone has been there, it will be fine!

Other nurse walks over and pulls it out of my hand and pops the top. Gives it back to me so I'm priming the tube and halfway through she reaches over and yanks it out of my hands and proceeds to put it in pump and looks at it and says did you prime it? I said I was in the middle of priming when you took it from me. Made me feel stupid and uneducated.

Your problem in bold.

It should have made you realize that some people handle the slightest adrenaline by becoming crazed, and that their doing so directly adds to chaos.

And possibly that what makes them feel worthy in life is looking around freaking constantly for someone they can tell themselves they are better than.

Pfff.

:)

Thanks guys for all your response. I appreciate the support!

+ Add a Comment