Toxic Work Environment

Nurses Relations

Published

Specializes in Tele, OB, public health.

Hey Y'all, just feeling really defeated and looking for some encouragement

I've been a RN for 8 years and last year I went back to school for a graduate degree

The program is made for working adults, but it's still grad school- I'm also married with children

I loved my job, manager and co-workers, but the pressure of ICU and trying to have good work life balance with my family and school got to be too much

I transferred to a clinic within my company- regular hours, no weekends, holidays, or missing my children's school programs anymore, and a shorter commute- YAY!

NOPE

I work with four other nurses and with the exception of one of them, the atmosphere is toxic and cold

Asking questions earns condescending caustic remarks, sometimes eye rolls

I try to be personable with at least a "Good Morning, how are you?" And I'm lucky if I get an answer at all- if I do it's one word answers with no courtesy of "how are you?" returned

It's not like I've never worked with jerks before- but it's obviously different when you're in patient- Usually you're too busy to care too much about your co workers, and its easy to avoid the jerks

But in clinic, I'm at a desk most of the day within a few feet of the other nurses

My manger is aware somewhat, but obviously I'm not gonna go tattle every time they're rude

I'm trying to not take it personally as I've seen them all be rude to other people in the clinic, but honestly I just don't have the patience for this nonsense

Any tips our tricks for dealing with a toxic work environment while you have to be in close proximity to the toxic co workers?

Specializes in Peds, Med-Surg, Disaster Nsg, Parish Nsg.

So sorry to hear about your situation with a toxic work environment. Your thread has been moved to the Nurses › Patient / Colleague Relations forum where it should get more response.

Good luck!!

Thanks! somehow I missed that forum

Focus on your family, your educational endeavors, and the fact that every day of putting up with this nonsense moves you further in the right direction.

It's a means to an end.

This is a mental game. Don't care about it and "get 'er done."

Good luck ~

Thanks! That's what I try to do everyday- eye on the prize and all that. I've started to repeat to myself every day...like Jinx in RuPaul's drag race "water off a ducks back"

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.

Sorry your new coworkers are behaving like that, dinah77. I have noticed that doctor's offices and outpatient clinics are far more likely to have issues like this than inpatient units. Not sure if it's the close proximity or what, but people tend to have social connections outside of work and come across as like a clique. It doesn't always indicate overt hostility to the newcomer, but the only job I quit due to an incurably toxic environment was at a clinic with an insecure power-tripping manager.

I think for now if you can, keep your eyes on the very valid advantages this job offers in terms of your career goals, treat them in a civil manner and do your job. It's possible they might warm up more in time, and it certainly doesn't mean you are in any way causing this.

All the best!

In a workplace where I did not fit the norm" (read 'majority'), it took approximately a year for the majority to decide I could stay. Hang in there and you might find things improving over the course of time.

I am in school now and have a non nursing related job. I work with some people who can be absolutely horrible. When I am encountering that kind of day, I breathe deep and say one more year, one more year. School won't take forever so remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and you get some awesome hours now to help get you through. Good luck!

Specializes in Educator, COVID Paperwork Expert (self-taught).

I had a similar situation in one of the Long Term facilities I did education in. It is NOT a good feeling! I would encourage you to continue to be distant but polite so they can never say anything against you. Be nice to everyone; in the job I referred to earlier I eventually got fairly close to a housekeeper and the activities people. It didn't make up for the hostility of the nursing staff but at least I got a smile when I walked in.

Like you said, don't take it personally, focus on the positive aspects of the job, and focus on learning and being the best nurse you can at that particular job. It will end, and I believe you learn something from every job. I can guarantee you will NEVER treat anyone like they're treating you! Hang in there--if nothing else you are setting an example of how to be a positive employee. Take care.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

I have a person or two I can name that are like that where I work. But, over time, they "softened", when they knew I could be trusted and only treated them with quiet kindness. Sometimes I brought treats and while on break, sat with them, shared pics on the phone, told healthy stories. If I had an issue with them that really needed to be brought to their attention, I would quietly take them aside privately and respectfully discuss it with them. Be patient. They need to get use to you too. Just be courteous, kind and professional. Offer to help when you can, compliment them on what they share and know.

Treat them the way that you want to be treated. And wait.....

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

I cope with people like that by feeling smugly superior. They have to be gratuitously rude? Eye-rolling? That's someone else's poorly-raised teenager, not yours.

Just keep on being the consummate professional, friendly and approachable, because that's who you are. Let them be the sack of snakes they are. And try to keep a poker face when their own crap comes back to bite them. This, too, shall pass.

"I cope with people like that by feeling smugly superior. They have to be gratuitously rude? Eye-rolling? That's someone else's poorly-raised teenager, not yours"

LOVE this :)

+ Add a Comment