American RN in Nova Scotia

World Canada

Published

Hi everyone. I'm currently an RN (bachelors in English not nursing) working for insurance company in florida doing reviews. I left bedside nursing in 2014 because at the time I was a single mom to a toddler and needed the normal hours/work at home so I could be a good mom.

Well I got back together with her father (Canadian) and we are thinking about moving to Nova Scotia to raise our child.

I have no idea what i could do for work- been years since I have done bedside and it seems like everyone wants a bachelor's. The job I do doesn't seem to exist in Canada (I dont even understand how their insurance/nationalized healthcare works) and I have researched how to get licensed in Canada and am so confused.

Any advice? I had hoped to keep my current work at home job, but they won't allow me to live outside the country and work for them.

Thanks!

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

You need to get registered if you want to work as a RN. Starting point is NNAS and CRNNS. Be aware process is long. Also immigration may be long as well. Jobs are for most hospitals or nursing homes

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

A baccalaureate degree in nursing is the minimum for entry to practice in Canada. You may find your options limited, perhaps to be assessed under the LPN classification. The job you currently have in Florida doesn't exist in Canada, but insurance companies do employ nurses in some situations, although not in a from-home capacity. As Silverdragon102 has said, you can't put the cart before the horse; you have to get the registration piece sorted out first before you can even think about working. The immigration part might be easier said than done too, because although you have a child together, you will have to prove to the government that you're in a committed relationship.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

And usually if looking at common law relationship you need to have lived for 12 months minimum and show proof of cohabitation like bank accounts, photos and rental or mortgage agreement

+ Add a Comment