Fentanyl used in execution

Nurses Headlines

Published

Specializes in ER.

Fentanyl used for 1st time to execute U.S. inmate | CBC News

If executions are to take place, this seems like a logical and humane method. The legal challenge by the German company was unsuccessful. They claimed this use of Fentanyl hurts the company's reputation. Somehow I find that disingenuous, since Fentanyl has caused thousands of deaths already.

Specializes in school nurse.
Fentanyl used for 1st time to execute U.S. inmate | CBC News

If executions are to take place, this seems like a logical and humane method. The legal challenge by the German company was unsuccessful. They claimed this use of Fentanyl hurts the company's reputation. Somehow I find that disingenuous, since Fentanyl has caused thousands of deaths already.

I know. Ironic, right? They're worried about it's reputation at purposely lethal doses, as if that will overshadow the illicit deaths related to it...

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

Interesting that it seems to be readily available in this instance and yet I'm reading reports daily of how it's not available in many hospitals and they're unable to stock it in adequate amounts due to a shortage. Surely hospitals should have priority over the available stock?

Interesting that it seems to be readily available in this instance and yet I'm reading reports daily of how it's not available in many hospitals and they're unable to stock it in adequate amounts due to a shortage. Surely hospitals should have priority over the available stock?

I don't think that if you took the fentanyl designated for an execution and put it into the available stock in a region, that it would have a meaningful impact.

These cases always interest me. The focus is always on the ingredients of the cocktail, which is rarely the issue. A competent ER doc and nurse, or anesthesia team could easily kill anybody. Probably unethical to publicly discuss drugs and doses, but any ER or ICU nurse knows the potential lethality of our meds.

The complications causing cruel executions or attempts at execution stem from the inability to find qualified medical staff to conduct the execution.

Specializes in Critical Care.

According to reports, the fentanyl was one of 4 drugs used; fentanyl, valium for sedation, then nimbex and potassium chloride to actually induce death. This is basically the same as previous lethal injection cocktails, except with fentanyl substituted as the opiate.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to nursing news

+ Add a Comment