In a Pickle

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

Hello, all! I am stuck in a pickle and I would love any and all input. I have two potential jobs: Nebraska Medical Center on a Heart and Vascular Unit, or Johns Hopkins on a General Medicine/palliative care or Colorectal Surgical Oncology Unit. These are both for a new graduate nursing position. My ultimate goal is to end up in a MICU, whenever that may be. NMC offers a $3,000 relocation bonus, $26.46 base, and the cost of living there is good. Sign on is only contracted for a year. Health insurance isn't stellar at NMC, but they offer 50% tuition expense paid to the university. Johns Hopkins also offers a $3,000 relocation bonus, base is $28, cost of living is higher (especially housing), and contract is for 2 years. The health insurance is better, and I believe (not 100%), they offer 100% tuition reimbursement for full time employees.

If you were in my shoes, where would you go? What would you do? I am just so conflicted. Heart and vascular is AMAZING experience, but Johns Hopkins is #3 in the country, and one of the best in the world. What are your thoughts?

Dear In a Pickle,

Congratulations on two outstanding offers!

They are both high ranking hospitals and both would provide an amazing experience. I would choose the organization over the speciality because you can always transfer to the speciality unit of your choice later.

For me- I'd be looking for an apartment in Baltimore yesterday.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

What a great pickle! Congrats, OP.

Personally, I don't think I would want to work in oncology. It would be sad and you are exposed to toxic medications.

Specializes in CRNA, Finally retired.
Personally, I don't think I would want to work in oncology. It would be sad and you are exposed to toxic medications.

Any unit in a hospital is sad and we are exposed to toxic chemicals everywhere. Certainly OSHA

requires specific protocols for chemo disposal and mixing. I gave chemo back in the day when we just mixed drugs in the exam room, pushed everything through butterfly tubing and never used gloves. In my 70's and don't even get colds anymore. Most patients died ,went to funerals but learned how to leave most of the pain behind in the office and planned time for fun. Loved that job.

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt.

Re: Hopkins...Are you set on going to grad school in the next two years? And are you ok with a two year contract? What's the penalty if you break it? I would do some GOOD research on apartments that are within the commuting time you're willing to invest, and are in safe neighborhoods. I would also try to find out some info on how the units staff and schedule. It looks like it's either one of two units, are you ok with that? Will the $3000K moving stipend go farther to get to Hopkins or Nebraska? Don't forget deposits not only for apartments but utilities. Good luck!

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt.

Re: Hopkins...Are you set on going to grad school in the next two years? And are you ok with a two year contract? What's the penalty if you break it? I would do some GOOD research on apartments that are within the commuting time you're willing to invest, and are in safe neighborhoods. I would also try to find out some info on how the units staff and schedule. It looks like it's either one of two units, are you ok with that? Will the $3000K moving stipend go farther to get to Hopkins or Nebraska? Don't forget deposits not only for apartments but utilities. Good luck!

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

Wow, that's a pretty nice pickle! Congrats on the opportunity to choose between offers at 2 different very respected facilities. Tough call for sure. Have you been able to put feet on the ground in both areas during the interview process to help you decide which is better for you? After all, it's not just a job you'd be accepting, it's a whole city.

+ Add a Comment