What is a surgical clearance nurse?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ER.

Hello nurses, I tried searching this on forum but did not find any post, so here we go. I am in a transition period between staying at current job to finding a new path. I came across a surgical clearance nurse, and wanted to see if anyone does it or has an experience and obtain your input.

It definitely sounds more interesting than sitting on a desk and punching keyboard (which is what I do), but I would like to see myself grow in leadership and do risk, safety or quality in the future, and I am not sure if this position has lots of potentials for growth.

What does the day to day look like? Do you like it or hated it? Is there potential for growth? What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Never heard of it. I hope someone else knows, or you apply for the job, (before you quit your current job), find out, and let us know.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

Call and ask.....

Specializes in school nurse.

I'm guessing it deals with pre-authorizations (from insurance companies) for surgery, perhaps...?

Let us know when you find out!

Specializes in ER.

well, the description looks more like running down the list of what needs to be cleared prior to having elective surgery as opposed to doing precerts. For example, if pt wants to have bariatric or knee surgery, the surgeon has protocol or list that he wants cleared prior to the OR date: labs, echo if you have heart problem, medical hx and med recs, etc. Sounds like a simple job, but for someone who wants to grow into administration/management type throughout the career, not sure if it holds lots of potentials.

Maybe it's not a very common thing for RNs to do.

Specializes in Care Coordination, MDS, med-surg, Peds.

At the hospital I go to for surgery has a pre surgery team of nurses who do labs, ekgs, obtain cxr and get done papers signed. Also they do the screening tests firMRSA and give you presurgery instructions like when to bathe, when to start preps or to be NPO, what meds you can and can't do. They all seem to enjoy it!!

I'm just guessing. It seems like it is more of a "chart check". Making sure all the labs, EKG's, echo, x-ray, etc., results are in the chart? If that's it, it seems like something a clerk or MA could do? But I may be wrong.

I'd still check it out if I were you. But don't quit your other job.

Specializes in ER.
I'm just guessing. It seems like it is more of a "chart check". Making sure all the labs, EKG's, echo, x-ray, etc., results are in the chart? If that's it, it seems like something a clerk or MA could do? But I may be wrong.

I'd still check it out if I were you. But don't quit your other job.

It's not a clinical job, and pretty much hands off, so not exactly like a pre-op nursing...Yeah, actually someone I know was kind of surprised because most of these can and are done by MAs or receptionists. I guess I can find out and update y'al here. And nope, not quitting until new job's secure.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
well, the description looks more like running down the list of what needs to be cleared prior to having elective surgery as opposed to doing precerts. For example, if pt wants to have bariatric or knee surgery, the surgeon has protocol or list that he wants cleared prior to the OR date: labs, echo if you have heart problem, medical hx and med recs, etc. Sounds like a simple job, but for someone who wants to grow into administration/management type throughout the career, not sure if it holds lots of potentials.

Maybe it's not a very common thing for RNs to do.

I just went to a clinic by my house to get a surgical clearance for plastic surgery. My PCP with my insurance compant refused to do it as they are not doing the surgery. (Never mind they don't offer elective plastic surgery). There Is a NP there who does them or you can opt to have the MD do them. My surgeon wanted an MD clearance so that's what I got. All labs, chest x-ray, EKG, etc.. with a report sent to my surgeon. Whole appointment took about a hour and a half but it appears you need to be an advanced practice RN to do these.

Hppy

+ Add a Comment