NSO Insurance

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

Hello! I am a new RN and wanted to get insurance just to be 1000% safe. I know a lot of people (the director of my program included) recommended NSO. I get nervous doing things online so I just wanted to make sure NSO.com is legitimate and not a fake/scam website. Is this where anyone got insurance from?

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

At a previous job (working for the State) I was told that anyone suing the hospital was essentially suing the State and the State fights all lawsuits. Therefore nurses would be covered and did not need to carry our own insurance. Further, carrying one's own insurance just gave a plaintiff more to go after.

My next job was working for the county and I was alarmed at how readily nurses were undermined and thrown under the bus. At that point (late 90s) I started carrying my own insurance with NSO and have ever since. I pay just over $100 and for me it's worth it for the peace of mind.

I've participated in many threads on this topic. Including the one in which RiskManager

posted his/her expert opinion on the topic (the link to which I included above) I always find it fascinating that it is seldom anyone disagrees or even acknowledges the points RiskManager makes.

On the other hand, I can always count on multiple people saying the $100+ is worth their "peace of mind", without discussing that the policy in most cases won't do anything for them.

I acknowledge my obsession on this topic is a bit silly, and it's no skin off my nose if people are willing to fork over the $$$ for a false sense of security. I guess I'm just jealous I didn't think of this business plan first.

ab197 said:
Thank you all SO much for the help! I will be getting the NSO insurance then. Its only $45 for this year and the $100 a year afterward are worth it to me. The hospital told all the new grads that they would not protect us if something were to go wrong, so I just want to be safe (although I pray nothing goes wrong!). It also helps to protect in case of a patient attack (again, I hope that never happens!).

I'm curious. What do you mean exactly when you say they "wouldn't protect you"? Was that their exact words, or can you elaborate on the conversation?

Are you familiar with the term "respondeat superior"? You should be.

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.
SC_RNDude said:
I've participated in many threads on this topic. Including the one in which RiskManager

posted his/her expert opinion on the topic (the link to which I included above) I always find it fascinating that it is seldom anyone disagrees or even acknowledges the points RiskManager makes..

I have a relative who was an RN and is now a malpractice lawyer. When I first graduated, I asked her about getting my own insurance and she told me much of what RiskManager said, and I've never carried it. I think on it now that I'm a travel nurse though.

+ Add a Comment