Anyone else being GPS tracked?

Nurses Recovery

Published

I am in Indiana and a new company just took over our monitoring program. We were sent an email last week that effective immediately we were to start using the GPS tool on our monitoring app to check at a meeting (NA, AA, NSG) and starting soon there would be a check out button as well. How in the world is this legal?? I feel like this is invasion of privacy and so does my counselor! I voluntarily signed up for this crap but I have not given permission to be tracked!

I was thinking of what would be an example of how a Nurse can deal with the Recovery programs and third parties that are involved with those programs. Duhhh, we are Nurses, be like a Nurse! This, we know how to do. We get information, verify, chart...chart...chart, observe, doing our job proficiently. Please hang in there and do what you know is best for you. It isn't a walk in the park, but, not the end to meet all, either.

We as Nurses and Consumers, need to be aware of how our buck is being used. When researching, the cost of drug screens were 4x's more for Nurses in that recovery program than a regular person coming in to get the exact same screen. I asked why were Nurses paying 4x's the normal amount? No answer was given. No one says anything, so why not? Become pro-active to what effects our Profession. Not just Nurses in a Recovery program, all Nurses. In my State, Nurses contribute to the Recovery fund thru their renewals; allot of money. All Nurses need to be asking questions and expect an answer. We are a strong group, and when we come together...there is no stopping us. No Fear...when we know it's right; then say what is happing is wrong. Thanks for the ramble...I believe in our Profession and will work till my last breath to ensure it held up with respect.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.
I'm sure if we complained they would say we were being non compliant and close our files then we would be screwed! But I am tempted to get rid of my smartphone and get a basic one..then they can't track me and they sure as heck can demand I have a smartphone!

That's truly the second thought that popped in my head. The first was what the Hades??? The second was how are they going to ensure every nurse on monitoring in the entire state has a smart phone with location services to even turn on? And for those that don't are they going to provide some sort of GPS monitor? I have visions of a line of nurses checking in to be fitted with one of those ankle monitors like they give people on house arrest.

ETA: OK, AN is censoring some ridiculous stuff now. A common acronym for a not even too naughty phrase ..WT_? was turned into asterisks!

It would be interesting to see what they say about those of us who leave our phones at home. I frequently have my phone, but I also have no qualms about leaving it at home if it needs to be charged. I don't pay attention to it, only carry it if I am expecting a phone call. I'm not attached to it at all.

In Indiana where this is happening, it is sad that many who ask questions; acknowledging things that 'go over their proverbial line' and reported it, ending up non-compliant. Some, where no answer could be given, others proclaim the injustice and refuse to be part of the program. I love the idea of getting a throw back phone with no GPS capability. I would think they would have to present another option? I honestly would not like that a third party had the capability to know where I am and what I do on my phone. Third parties make money; not saying that some aren't good and have your best interest. More than not, they have several companies within the a company. Could be tricky! A statement that they will not sell to other organizations, etc. If the other companies are part of their conglomeration, your information could be used for other purposes. In Indiana certain 'Powers that be' say, a Nurses file is public record. That is a scary thought! If my cell phone information and whereabouts become that file, how far could that line be crossed...Something to consider. There needs to be a point where Nurses say, NO MORE!

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Indiana if you have to deal with the BON they upload all of your case info to their website for anyone to see. Included are the nurse's home address, all diagnoses of substance disorder or mental illness, arrests, etc.

What?!?! Your personal medical information is uploaded online??? That can NOT be legal.

Specializes in OR.

In Florida, if you are not working, your home address is posted and publicized on your license. Apparently if you are employed, your employers address is on there. I have mine 'indicated that I am not currently practicing' though it is active because I do not want any more info out there than necessary. Interestingly, since I have done that, the amount of junk advertising mail directing at nurses (catalogs etc.) has decreased.

Probably the paranoia induced in me from this whole experience but I would not be shocked to find out that BONs sold licensee info to 3rd parties for advertising purposes. >>>

You are very wrong about this. The medical information is NOT loaded on the website. I just got done scouring their website and the ONLY thing uploaded is the board order and license status. It the order was because of a criminal event like diversion from the hospital, those details were included as part of the investigation but there was not one case of personal medical info uploaded. PLEASE ...be careful with the information you share. With a couple of clicks everyone can see if you are being helpful or spreading misinformation.

This whole post is just crazy to me. you do realize that it is a VOLUNTARY program. If the nurse is int he program it is because they likely broke the law, committed a FELONY, stole from the hospital, wrote illegal prescriptions, or something along those line. It is called an ALTERNATIVE TO DISCIPLINE program because if they were not there they would go straight to DISCIPLINE!!! Trust me on this, I worked in Ohio and I would take this format ANY day. Furthermore....if was was being monitored for MY indiscretions and they told me to jump on one foot all day I would do it. This is in NO WAY infringing on forth amendment rights, that just ignorant. No one is making the nurse participate. If they don't like it, they can drop out and deal with the board directly. Also, there are VERY strict Federal laws prohibiting GPS tracking. This is NOT GPS tracking. This is a one time "selfie" of you location. Once it is captured, the "tracking" is off. My thought is this......if they want to assure that the nurse is going to meetings , as they say they are, and the nurse is not hiding or lying, what is the big deal? Hit the Botton and move on. Those that have something to hide will of course rebel. At the end of the day, this is a voluntary program .....often times the last line of defense before a board sanction. I would play nice if I were you....and if you would rather deal with the board, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

I just read on their Facebook page that it is not a tracking. It is a static one time snap shot. I do believe that continual tracking is actually illegal by Federal standards. They did bring up a good point, this is a VOLUNTARY program......the alternative is to deal with the Board of Nursing directly.

If you go on nursys.com and check out the quick confirm and indicate that you want to see documents too, you can view all court documents related to that particular RN's license (unless they have a non public discipline). The BON gives this info to this website and this website is checked by employers. And anyone can see this. If medical info is ever included in court documents, this would be viewable to literally anyone.

Specializes in OR.
This whole post is just crazy to me. you do realize that it is a VOLUNTARY program. If the nurse is int he program it is because they likely broke the law, committed a FELONY, stole from the hospital, wrote illegal prescriptions, or something along those line. It is called an ALTERNATIVE TO DISCIPLINE program because if they were not there they would go straight to DISCIPLINE!!! Trust me on this, I worked in Ohio and I would take this format ANY day. Furthermore....if was was being monitored for MY indiscretions and they told me to jump on one foot all day I would do it. This is in NO WAY infringing on forth amendment rights, that just ignorant. No one is making the nurse participate. If they don't like it, they can drop out and deal with the board directly. Also, there are VERY strict Federal laws prohibiting GPS tracking. This is NOT GPS tracking. This is a one time "selfie" of you location. Once it is captured, the "tracking" is off. My thought is this......if they want to assure that the nurse is going to meetings , as they say they are, and the nurse is not hiding or lying, what is the big deal? Hit the Botton and move on. Those that have something to hide will of course rebel. At the end of the day, this is a voluntary program .....often times the last line of defense before a board sanction. I would play nice if I were you....and if you would rather deal with the board, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

Well, with parts of your post....yes and no. NOT everybody stuck in this mess 'likely broke the law, committed a felony, etc, etc.'. These programs suck people in for far far more than those reasons, frequently very inappropriate. In many states, they are NOT an alternative to discipline. They ARE the discipline. Do it or lose it. Period. Voluntary? More like Voluntold.

On the 4th amendment rights? I'll give you that one. Ive no clue where the poster dug that up from but no, it makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as the whole GPS tracking bit that was the original topic...it has to do with the documentation of attendance at what is supposed to be an ANONYMOUS meeting. Many scratch thier heads at the fact that this mess forces documentation of attendance at an activity whose very existence requires anonymity, and has nothing to do with nursing. I personally feel that these programs responsibility is to monitor ability to practice safely either through drug testing or what have you. How a person maintains that sobriety, if that is the issue or that ability (med maintenance if psych issues for example) is nobody's business. We (wether this requirement is appropriate or not) are not under arrest or on probation and this concept IS a slippery slope and an invasion of privacy. That is the point of the OPs discussion.

Finally, this is a forum of support for and by people that are or have been in these programs. We are here to be a means of support, information and discussion. In my opinion, If you have not been down this very bumpy, scary road, then you know not what your speaketh of.

+ Add a Comment