Can you explain a time when you feel like your nursing license was put on the line?

Specialties School

Published

First time school nurse this year, and I've reviewed my nurse practice act a couple of times now, at the recommendation of the experienced school nurses.

Can anyone give a specific incident where you were asked to do something that went against what you NPA said you could or couldn't do?

I don't want to get caught in this situation, so would love to read any experiences you might have encountered.

Very rare and never something that would result in a review. The closest thing is being asked to dispense medication without an order from a medical practitioner.

Specializes in NCSN.

I don't want to go into my personal specifics but things like:

Things like requests to pass meds without an order, homeopathic txs without orders, requests from admins to delegate tasks that cannot be delegated.

never in 30 years did I ever "feel" as though my license were "on the line". If one were to "feel" that way, it would be to that person's benefit to examine his or her place in patient care.

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

I have never felt like my license was on the line in my many years in this field however I have felt pressure to complete things without MD orders, or without upper management permission.

If you do things right the first time you should never have to worry, I try to do right the first time. Do I make mistakes yes I do but I own those mistakes and go back to "right them" and usually they are not so bad as to me worry about my license.

If you have to worry about losing your license then you are not following policy/procedures.

Specializes in NICU.

Never felt like it was on the line because I purposely kept myself aware of my rights,the policy and procedures or how to go up the chain of command.

Just those times when thrown into a large school as a sub, alone, when everything that could go wrong, did.

+ Add a Comment