radiology nursing

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am planning to be a radiology nurse. Will taking radiology physics and radiology electronics help me to get into that specialty?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

No because nurses who work in radiology do nurse work there not radiology work..

Maybe someone who works that specialty can jump in but I'll give you some radiology related nursing tasks:

-starting ivs

-administering contrast

-performing screens for MRIs

-helping the patient position for the exam in light of disability, pain

-communicating patient concerns to physicians and vice versa.

The things you mention are very technical and almost align more with engineering.

Maybe someone who works that specialty can jump in but I'll give you some radiology related nursing tasks:

-starting ivs

-administering contrast

-performing screens for MRIs

-helping the patient position for the exam in light of disability, pain

-communicating patient concerns to physicians and vice versa.

The things you mention are very technical and almost align more with engineering.

Big addition to this is administering moderate sedation and monitoring vital signs. You will learn those skills working in an intensive care unit. Interventional radiology (usually) requires critical care experience.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

The X-ray techs take physics and such and are responsible for doing the actual X-ray taking, so none of that is necessary for you. You do need to work in an ER or ICU to obtain a radiology job in most hospitals, since as others have said you will have to do conscious sedation, IV starts, and respond to emergencies such as allergic reactions within the department. Very few hospitals would hire a nurse into radiology, if any, as a new grad.

Annie

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.

In my outpatient Radiology Department, our Rad Nurses do the following:

- Start IVs/Access Ports/PICC Line dressing changes

- Administer and monitor sedation

- Administer and monitor fluids for patients with high creatinine

- Assist with biopsies (typically ultrasound)

- Assist with pre-meds for scans (MRI and CT)

- Assist Radiology staff with transferring patients to table and back

- They are the dedicated RRT team for the building so they respond to any emergency except 2nd floor which is surgery. Types of RRTs include contrast reaction, vasovagal from drawing blood or starting IV, and chemo/immunotherapy reactions.

All our Rad Nurses have been nurses with at least 15+ years experience. Job posting for one prefers 5+ years experience, with critical care, ER, or Urgent Care experience

+ Add a Comment