Is anyone else prepping for the CNE exam?

Specialties Educators

Published

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I bought some CNE study resources a year ago when I was at the end of my pregnancy, thinking that I'd have ample time to study during my 12 weeks of maternity leave ... HAHAHA, what can I say, first-time mom. Anyway, I am gathering my resources again to prep for the CNE exam. Anyone else doing the same? I'd like to take the exam by October.

1 Votes

Exam is scheduled for September. :)

I just registered yesterday for the CNE. I finished my MSN-Nurse Educator track in June and I figured it would be best to try and take the exam, while some information is still fresh...After reading all of the comments though I am started to become overwhelmed. I have the Billings and Halstead; Teaching in Nursing book, but it is the 4th Edition. I am hoping that is just as good to use. I also am not sure what else I should purchase to study being on a budget and all. Once I hear back from AMP/PSI I am going to purchase the NLN SAE. Any suggestions?

I spent most of my summer reviewing and memorizing and I took the exam today (and passed it - Yeah!) but I'm not really sure that 2/3 of the information I studied had ANY impact on my score. I did the NLN online course ( $200)- which amounted to having Linda Caputi read the review book to me that I already purchased ($30 or so) - I rented a former edition of B&H from Amazon and will get the money back - it was more useful than the online course. I also purchased Price Godshall and Wilson which was helpful. Then in a panic last night I spent another $75 for the SAE. NONE of the practice questions in any of these sources came close to the focus of the exam questions. I had more than 12 hours of educational theory in my doctoral program - but the questions were rarely factual - obviously they were at the analysis level. This is an expensive project - it would be helpful if the NLN would publish some parallel practice questions - Its also annoying that the entire exam references the original Bloom taxonomy when the review books reference the NEW taxonomy. My last annoyance - the long lists of critical thinking activities in all of the sources I used were never prioritized. One of the questions on the SAE marked concept mapping incorrect because debates were more difficult - and the rationales generally sounded like me as a Mom saying - because I told you so - the rationales would not be sufficient in any institution that i"m familiar with. I don't mean to discourage anyone - but a false sense of security isn't great either. If you turn the available practice questions into analysis questions with 2 very closely related answers you might be less surprised than I was this morning. I wish everyone great success!

1 Votes

Can you please give the isbn of the materials you have refered to?

And it's a PASS this morning! YAY! I relied most heavily on the CNE prep app - lots of great content and practice questions, though the app is a bit pricey (but apparently worth it!). I thought the SAEs were helpful in helping me learn what to expect as far as the flavor of the questions and how to best answer them. Glad that is done!!

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

CONGRATS!!!!!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.
And it's a PASS this morning! YAY! I relied most heavily on the CNE prep app - lots of great content and practice questions, though the app is a bit pricey (but apparently worth it!). I thought the SAEs were helpful in helping me learn what to expect as far as the flavor of the questions and how to best answer them. Glad that is done!!

CONGRATULATIONS, Pixie!!

Specializes in Education, research, telemetry, med/surg.

Woo hoo~ congrats!! I'm taking it later this year, and did purchase the app. glad it helped you!

I'm also planning on taking the CNE exan in Nov. I was going to give myself 4 weeks to study and am planning on reviewing Billings and Halstead and using the app. I have Caputi's book that I already read, but it seems a little to basic. I'm sure the CNE exam is much more in depth. I appreciate everyone's comments on what worked for them!

Took me almost a year to get ready. I worked with two other colleagues every couple of weeks...we'd go over the material from the handbook and review. We bought the "pretend test" and put the questions on the projector (in one of our classrooms) and dissected the questions together. That made a big difference.

Probably the hardest part of the exam was some of the math calculations (weighting grades). Good luck! It's a nice feather in your cap.

1 Votes
Probably the hardest part of the exam was some of the math calculations (weighting grades). Good luck! It's a nice feather in your cap.

OMG! I had to logic my way through the grade-weighting, I was totally unprepared for that on the test but pretty sure I got it right.

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment