Issues getting Epi?

Specialties Camp

Published

Anybody having issues getting Epi? Traditionally we have an rx called into the local pharmacy under the camp name for our stock Epi pens. Talking to the pharmacist, was told that they no longer can issue the rx to a camp or school, but needs to be in a persons name...

We also get stock ventolin and ciprodex under the camp name. Haven't heard if this is included or not. Hoping to find out more tomorrow...

Have you been able to get Epipens? Are you have to change or decrease the amount you might typically have?

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

You will need to use a supply service such as Henry Schein or Moore Medical. Our local pharmacy's started bulking at giving us stock a few years ago. In a pinch just send it through under your name and pay camp cash. Walmart wouldn't issue us stock, but would sell me, with a script made out for me, 6 albuterol MDI no questions asked.

Specializes in School Nursing.

^^ Perfect answer

You will need to use a supply service such as Henry Schein or Moore Medical. Our local pharmacy's started bulking at giving us stock a few years ago. In a pinch just send it through under your name and pay camp cash. Walmart wouldn't issue us stock, but would sell me, with a script made out for me, 6 albuterol MDI no questions asked.

balking (not bulking)

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

Thanks! That adds a lot to the conversation. í ½í¹„

Specializes in Hospice.

Ran into this while ordering supplies for an EMS service earlier this year. Pharmacist explained to me it was a change in laws that prohibited retail pharmacies from selling scrips unless issued to a specific individual; something to do with the licensing of the pharmacy. They referred me to a wholesale pharmacy who could legally sell the item issued to a agency for administration under protocol or by physician order. I ended up going with a medical supplier - the medical director had to complete a form authorizing meds to be ordered.

Finally got more info on this- Like vampiregirl was saying, it has to do with how the pharmacy sees who the rx is for. If the rx is written for a camp or school, they don't see us as the "end user" and that makes the pharmacy a wholesaler vs. distributor. The pharmacist here was very frustrated and trying to find a work around. Since they are emergency meds and we are not actually giving it to a specific person...

Such a pain to deal with...

+ Add a Comment