It's for me

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I wish patients and families were aware of all of the decisions we have to make throughout the day, and that no one is sitting at the nurses station, reading a magazine or twiddling their thumbs.

Last week I was in the weeds trying to fix a discharge (they didn't have a bed, then they did, I finally got to call report but had to page the MD to fix part of the d/c instructions...you know the drill)...family member of another room gives me the "come here" signal with his finger, I nod but indicate I am on the phone, he does it again so I think, ok, it' can't wait. I put the facility on hold on the phone. "A coke," he says shaking an empty cup at me. "It's for me."

Those people make me so angry. I would have told him the cafeteria is in the basement or there are vending machines in the waiting room.

Why is it that the visitors also don't read the signs about how only staff are allowed in the kitchenette? And then, they have the audacity to get mad when you catch them in the act? I don't know where your hands have been - don't dig in our cupboards with your dirty, MRSA hands!

Specializes in Ambulatory Case Management, Clinic, Psychiatry.

Oh.My.God. Who ARE these people?!????!???

I know who they are, but really, these are the people/things that make me angry and make me want to leave direct care/nursing in general.

Sorry, this brought a huge smile to my face. I kinda hate to say it but it's pretty wonderful to remain perfectly pleasant, smile, say, "Thanks for letting me know - I'll be back with you in a few minutes." Go back...."Ok, sorry about the wait. Let me show you to the vending machines...."

Clarification - the reason this feels great isn't because of some idea of being secretly mean; it feels great to not let them see you lose it, because...you don't lose it. And you can "not lose it" while also not entertaining completely inappropriate behavior. I trained myself by pretending that people really don't know any better (regardless of whether they should or not).

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
And you can "not lose it" while also not entertaining completely inappropriate behavior. I trained myself by pretending that people really don't know any better (regardless of whether they should or not).

JKL, you win the internets today! I'm going to work on this!

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.
Sorry, this brought a huge smile to my face. I kinda hate to say it but it's pretty wonderful to remain perfectly pleasant, smile, say, "Thanks for letting me know - I'll be back with you in a few minutes." Go back...."Ok, sorry about the wait. Let me show you to the vending machines...."

Clarification - the reason this feels great isn't because of some idea of being secretly mean; it feels great to not let them see you lose it, because...you don't lose it. And you can "not lose it" while also not entertaining completely inappropriate behavior. I trained myself by pretending that people really don't know any better (regardless of whether they should or not).

I admire you for this. My face cannot hide my emotions. I would have had this incredulous look on my face, coupled with a slight snarl. I gotta work on that.

Why is it that the visitors also don't read the signs about how only staff are allowed in the kitchenette? And then, they have the audacity to get mad when you catch them in the act? I don't know where your hands have been - don't dig in our cupboards with your dirty, MRSA hands!

My favorite is when the above visitor is wearing the isolation gown, gloves,etc., has been told not to leave the room wear this stuff, and you find them in the kitchen getting water filled, making coffee, and raiding the fridge wearing what they had on in the room!

I admire you for this. My face cannot hide my emotions. I would have had this incredulous look on my face, coupled with a slight snarl. I gotta work on that.

Oh, make no mistake - - I've been there, too. The change was eventually imperative because there is so much of this behavior now that it means we have to make a choice between spending our whole day jacked off about one stupidity or another, or else find a better way. I'm ashamed to admit it wasn't my natural tendency to make the change, but it feels good to have "moved on" emotionally.

I had a family member got aggressive with me about a miscommunication started by another staff - the patient wasnt assigned to me - I was in the middle of medpass and I couldnt help the CNA locate incontinence briefs. All I could do was apologize for the miscommunication. But at the same time, my patient's family members came up to me to tell me how amazing I was and wanted to know if I'll be back tomorrow..... and got a starbucks card from our patient relation officer for doing an awesome job on the shift that day.... can't make everyone happy, eh?

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses!

I have only worked in hospitals since 2014. I am wondering what family customer service was like, for example, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s.

I want family members to be comfortable in the hospital and enjoy their stay, truly, but my first priority has to be giving SAFE care to the patient.

When did the expectation change?

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses!

I have only worked in hospitals since 2014. I am wondering what family customer service was like, for example, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s.

I want family members to be comfortable in the hospital and enjoy their stay, truly, but my first priority has to be giving SAFE care to the patient.

When did the expectation change?

Around the time when hospitals started getting reimbursed from insurance companies based on patient satisfaction survey scores. Whichever idiot came up with that idea should forced to do our job for a day and see how their view would change.

It sure wasn't like this when I started back in 2002. We were not the Hilton back then, more of a Motel 6,where you could leave your light on for 30 seconds during a code blue and it'd be alright.

Now I have accepted that I have a degree in nursing, and on the job training in hospitality. There used to be a time when there were two choices for each meal, usually chicken or mystery meat. I was never expected to wait on hold on the phone for the kitchen for 15 minutes because some irrational patient didn't get their Flan and Diet Coke while I simultaneously pulled meds and drew up insulin in the med room.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
I was never expected to wait on hold on the phone for the kitchen for 15 minutes because some irrational patient didn't get their Flan and Diet Coke while I simultaneously pulled meds and drew up insulin in the med room.

It's not funny...just the way you write it. I spewed iced tea and laughed. I guess it would be funnier if it wasn't true.

+ Add a Comment