Ohio BON Restricting FNP Practice

Specialties NP

Published

OBON Pursues Additional Regulation of Primary Care NPs - OAAPN

I think we will see more and more of this.

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.
I just took some time to check Ohio State's website and it appears that attending THEIR FNP program will qualify me to attend THEIR post-masters ACNP. !

Because that qualifies as a sufficient background. Unbelievable but hey good retention strategy.

Specializes in ED RN, Firefighter/Paramedic.
Because that qualifies as a sufficient background. Unbelievable but hey good retention strategy.

Ohio State is a pretty respectable program, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt there..

If not, for me, I'll make it work. I have faith in my own background and self-motivation to study my weak areas to make it through and come out a competent provider..

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.
Ohio State is a pretty respectable program, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt there..

No doubt. If I wanted it and they offered it I'd be there too. I have lost respect for most of the schools in this area that are known nationwide as high quality. Some of the schemes I've seen come out of the big names in DC and Maryland is mindblowing. It is astonishing that no nursing school seems immune to the quest for retention, tuition dollars.

Where is the end?

I have faith in my own background and self-motivation to study my weak areas to make it through and come out a competent provider..

I cant wait for medical schools to realize this and just let their students study what they want. They're smart people. They know what they need to know. They're adult learners. You get out what you put in and all that. Not everyone learns in the same way. Etc etc.

I cant wait for medical schools to realize this and just let their students study what they want. They're smart people. They know what they need to know. They're adult learners. You get out what you put in and all that. Not everyone learns in the same way. Etc etc.

I'm not really sure why this was necessary?

If I misread this and you weren't trying to be over the top condescending in your response to me, then I apologize. If that was your intent, I'm not really sure why you felt it necessary to come at me.

By the time I get to the starting point of my ACNP certificate program, I will have nearly 22 years as a medic in a high volume system, 16 as an active EMS instructor, 3 years as a critical care medic, and will have wrapped up my FNP program and all the didactic and clinical education that goes along with that. As I said, when I evaluate my own background, if it turns out that the certificate program I enter has gaps, I believe I'll manage to get through them.

Alas, this thread has devolved into a "nursing experience is required" debate. To the OP, I'm sorry for initiating this derailment, not my intention..

I'm not really sure why this was necessary?

Probably because some have very strong assertions about what should and shouldn't happen in nursing. A school decides you clear their fnp program so that somehow suggests you can cut it in an acute care environment by virtue that you are willing to shell out more money? Be honest, your background doesn't make a difference as they will do that for anyone. So while you have the benefit of being a medic, your history doesn't somehow change the fact that you have never cared for a patient in a setting where you are actively managing multiple comorbid conditions while understanding the reasons a doctor is ordering various therapies. Might as well open up CRNA school to de graduates. After all CRNA job is nothing like a normal nursing job (the trait that most DE supporters like to tout about primary care). Who needs that year or so in CV ICU? Obviously it's a waste of time for some.

And we're now full-tilt into the direct entry debate.

My question was answered, I appreciate everyone's input and respect your opinions. Thanks to all!

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.

Getting back to the OBON post: this illustrates why we need to make the master's degree a generalist NP degree and then the DNP could be a specialty with actual clinical training, not EBP project hours.

Or just make us all get the same generalist training like PAs do and we get to select our specialty in practice because we've had a good enough training base. This would require schools to actually teach and provide clinical training (gasp!). I would much prefer to receive training in all specialties up front than to have to select one first. Sometimes you don't know you might like a specialty until you've actually been exposed to it. I never thought I'd be interested in OR until I did a clinical rotation in OR during nursing school. I really enjoyed my time there and found the whole process fascinating. NPs don't get any type of surgical rotation at all (unless trying to go for an RNFA certificate).

I'm doing a dual ACNP/FNP program and I'm happy to get a more well-rounded clinical & education experience doing so. I would love to get some exposure to OR, but I know I won't get to do so until I'm actually working as an NP. There aren't any PA schools close by, so it rules out attending PA school for me. Closest one is an hour and a half away and would be a brutal drive in the winter. Not to mention the fact that I would have to quit my job to go to PA school. Heck, I'd go to med school if I could afford it, but $250K at my age would never be repaid before I hit retirement age.

There is definitely a need to standardize NP education. It is way too confusing to the public to know the difference between an FNP, ACNP, PMHNP, PNP, AGNP, NNP, etc. And don't get me started on non-clincial DNPs having the same title, but not licensure, as an NP!

And don't get me started on non-clincial DNPs having the same title, but not licensure, as an NP!

They don't. Their degree has the same name, but they don't have "the same title." The DNP is a degree, not a title or a role. A nurse practitioner with a DNP is still a nurse practitioner. A CNS with a DNP is still a CNS. Etc., etc. "DNP" isn't anyone's title. It's no more confusing than clinical and non-clinical people all having a MSN degree. They still all have different titles, and that hasn't been a problem all these years.

Specializes in NICU.
Getting back to the OBON post: this illustrates why we need to make the master's degree a generalist NP degree and then the DNP could be a specialty with actual clinical training, not EBP project hours.

Or just make us all get the same generalist training like PAs do and we get to select our specialty in practice because we've had a good enough training base. This would require schools to actually teach and provide clinical training (gasp!). I would much prefer to receive training in all specialties up front than to have to select one first. Sometimes you don't know you might like a specialty until you've actually been exposed to it. I never thought I'd be interested in OR until I did a clinical rotation in OR during nursing school. I really enjoyed my time there and found the whole process fascinating. NPs don't get any type of surgical rotation at all (unless trying to go for an RNFA certificate).

I'm doing a dual ACNP/FNP program and I'm happy to get a more well-rounded clinical & education experience doing so. I would love to get some exposure to OR, but I know I won't get to do so until I'm actually working as an NP. There aren't any PA schools close by, so it rules out attending PA school for me. Closest one is an hour and a half away and would be a brutal drive in the winter. Not to mention the fact that I would have to quit my job to go to PA school. Heck, I'd go to med school if I could afford it, but $250K at my age would never be repaid before I hit retirement age.

There is definitely a need to standardize NP education. It is way too confusing to the public to know the difference between an FNP, ACNP, PMHNP, PNP, AGNP, NNP, etc. And don't get me started on non-clincial DNPs having the same title, but not licensure, as an NP!

Having a generalist education for neonatology would not be helpful. PAs that want to do the NICU generally do a full year fellowship after completing their degree in order work in the NICU and have to unlearn a lot of what they know because there is very little common with adults and babies other than that they are of the same species, lol.

I think what the OBON is doing is great. FNP is designed for out patient care, not acute care. One should practice to the scope for which they were educated.

Notwithstanding the usual assortment of NP haters here, I'm not understanding why anyone would object to this. I worked for years a critical care RN in hospitals then I became an FNP and stopped working in hospitals. Now I can't work in hospitals anymore---even as an RN because the Joint Commission has a rule that if you've been our of acute care for more than 3 years you need to re-training before you can go back in. This makes sense to me. As an FNP, I'm even further out. I haven't worked as an RN in years. Even though I remember most of it, I'm sure that the protocols aren't all still the same. Why would NPs who want to work in hospitals become FNPs and not ACNPs?

+ Add a Comment