Did they ask for your GPA, yes or no?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

So I am in my last semester of nursing school when we are supposed to be hustling and bustling to submit our applications all over the place. Long story short, my GPA sucks :/ I work so much, and I always volunteer so I can promise I am a competent person and I love working with people during my clinicals. My grades just don't show it unfortunately. So to my nurses out there, and to my fellow students who have already applied places:

Did the place A. Ask for your GPA, and B. What specialty did you apply to?

Specializes in Med-surg, home care.

I am graduating this summer from an accelerated BSN and from what I can see only new grad programs care about GPA (usually between 3.0 and 3.5 minimum, depending on hospital) but positions not part of a new grad residency that do not require experience only want degree (almost always a BSN) and a RN license

I am in Texas and all the new grad programs in my area absolutely care about GPA. I am not graduated yet but my peers who are looking for jobs have not found jobs yet if they have below a 3.2. However, I live in a highly competitive area where you have to have a BSN to land one of these new grad residencies.

I have never had anyone ask, and I graduated from the ASN program a few years ago. I am about to wrap up my MSN, recently took a promotion, and they could not have cared less about my grades. They didn't ask to see anything. As long as you graduate and pass the NCLEX you are fine.

I am in Texas and all the new grad programs in my area absolutely care about GPA. I am not graduated yet but my peers who are looking for jobs have not found jobs yet if they have below a 3.2. However, I live in a highly competitive area where you have to have a BSN to land one of these new grad residencies.

Hi so I'm also in Texas! In the Houston area finishing up my last semester also. I have been hearing that Houston job market is pretty rough after Harvey, plus a hospital just closed in League City. What area/large city are you located near? Because I'm wondering if its the entire state

Hi so I'm also in Texas! In the Houston area finishing up my last semester also. I have been hearing that Houston job market is pretty rough after Harvey, plus a hospital just closed in League City. What area/large city are you located near? Because I'm wondering if its the entire state

I am in Houston as well, I'm really not sure about the rest of the state but my peers are also applying to jobs in Dallas and Austin and having trouble there as well. I think with any healthcare profession, you might have an easier time finding jobs in the more rural areas of Texas rather than the big cities.

Specializes in Ortho, CMSRN.

My job did. My GPA also sucked :( My manager liked me enough to take a chance on me, and I'd like to think I've been a good fit for the floor for the last four years and I try to contribute with all that I can. I just hope I can find a way to get my masters eventually.

I have never had anyone ask. I put it on a resume' but I doubt it has ever made a difference as to interviewing out not.

+ Add a Comment