Angry Teachers

Specialties School

Published

Just got yelled at by "the angry teacher" again. She was so angry that I had to walk away and get the Principle to talk to her. She sent a student up (7th grader/frequent flyer) because he was sleeping in her class. When the student came up, he told me he had a headache and he also said he woke up at 4 in the morning and could not go back to sleep. No fever so I let him lay in the clinic for 30 minutes. He went back to class and 2 hours later "the angry teacher" comes in yelling at me about how he's sleeping in her class, etc. and wanted him just to sleep here in my office. I was trying to ask her what she wants me to do but she was yelling so angrily at me that I had to walk away to get someone to calm her down. I think she needs some counselling or angry management. She's always snapping at me about something. Have any of you school nurses experience this? I'm so glad school's almost out:unsure: already spoke with the principal and my district nurse. Any suggestions or advise on how to cope with this. Just don't want her to catch me on a bad day:down: because I know how I can get.

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

Well MrsNurse- My best advice is just keep on keepin on- Getting the Principal involved was a great move on your part. Yes, it does sound like the teacher has some things to deal with that have nothing to do with you. Be professional, but continue to set the tone of what is ok and what is not ok in your office. Anyway to get a glimpse into this child's life and why the sleep disruption? I have been learning tons about what Trauma-Informed is- and it has changed my perspective and why kids to what they do...and how I respond to them. No, I wouldn't have let the student sleep the day away in my cot either.

Well MrsNurse- My best advice is just keep on keepin on- Getting the Principal involved was a great move on your part. Yes, it does sound like the teacher has some things to deal with that have nothing to do with you. Be professional, but continue to set the tone of what is ok and what is not ok in your office. Anyway to get a glimpse into this child's life and why the sleep disruption? I have been learning tons about what Trauma-Informed is- and it has changed my perspective and why kids to what they do...and how I respond to them. No, I wouldn't have let the student sleep the day away in my cot either.

I think it's more of an emotional issue with the student. He comes to me when things are not going so well in class. I let him lay down for a few minutes and it usually helps him. But it's mostly the teacher. He was very upset with her yelling at me. He states she just want listen or give people a chance. He feels she always brushes him off.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

That's just not acceptable behavior. Your principal can put a stop to this. I could say a lot of what you "should" do but, as a credit to your professionalism and character, you've already taken the high road and I commend your for that.

But...the rant stops here. Don't tolerate it again. Maybe email her to, in the future, email you her concerns, with cc to principal, if you're not satisfied with the intervention over this incident.

That's just not acceptable behavior. Your principal can put a stop to this. I could say a lot of what you "should" do but, as a credit to your professionalism and character, you've already taken the high road and I commend your for that.

But...the rant stops here. Don't tolerate it again. Maybe email her to, in the future, email you her concerns, with cc to principal, if you're not satisfied with the intervention over this incident.

Thanks OD!! I really hope the principal handles this situation. I don't want to come out of character LBVS!!

Ummmm, why is this kid sleeping so much? Is he high? Bored?

As long as you assess him to NOT be sick, the teacher should call the parents and leave you out of it.

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..
I think it's more of an emotional issue with the student. He comes to me when things are not going so well in class. I let him lay down for a few minutes and it usually helps him. But it's mostly the teacher. He was very upset with her yelling at me. He states she just want listen or give people a chance. He feels she always brushes him off.

I am so glad your student has a safe place with you. Even at that, students have to learn boundaries and school expectations.

Ummmm, why is this kid sleeping so much? Is he high? Bored?

As long as you assess him to NOT be sick, the teacher should call the parents and leave you out of it.

Exactly!!! And that's what the principal told her and I was trying to explain to her the same thing. And far as the student, he's in a SDC class (special class) and it's more emotional issues. And I think he comes to me for that emotional support, which I don't mind helping him cope.

The school clinic is NOT for all day lollygagging around. Rest and return to class or sick enough to go home. END.OF.STORY!

If you assessed him and he did not meet criteria for exclusion, he belongs in class. At that point, it is a behavior / classroom management issue which you have no control of. You did the right thing walking away. There is no fixing stupid and in the school setting, we can't even sedate it!

The school clinic is NOT for all day lollygagging around. Rest and return to class or sick enough to go home. END.OF.STORY!

If you assessed him and he did not meet criteria for exclusion, he belongs in class. At that point, it is a behavior / classroom management issue which you have no control of. You did the right thing walking away. There is no fixing stupid and in the school setting, we can't even sedate it!

Exactly!! I had teachers to report that I don't keep the students long enough. I do my assessment no fever no vomiting speak with parents they want student back in class. My gosh it's not detention...how long do they want a non-symptomatic child to stay in my office..GEESH!!

Exactly!! I had teachers to report that I don't keep the students long enough. I do my assessment no fever no vomiting speak with parents they want student back in class. My gosh it's not detention...how long do they want a non-symptomatic child to stay in my office..GEESH!!

Not to mention that a healthy kid in the nurse's office will not stay that way long. It's basically a petri dish waiting to infect all who enter.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Exactly!!! And that's what the principal told her and I was trying to explain to her the same thing. And far as the student, he's in a SDC class (special class) and it's more emotional issues. And I think he comes to me for that emotional support, which I don't mind helping him cope.

AHH. Then it's behavioral, which comes under the umbrella of the teacher/SPED department. Or the parent. Sheesh. I have two or three that I will often email a teacher stating - there is nothing clinically wrong and if the behavior (name it) continues it is a behavior and you will need to address this with the student's AP and parents.

Hang in there.

+ Add a Comment