NSO - Expired Insurance

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Progressive Care, Sub-Acute, Hospice, Geriatrics.

Fellow Nurses,

My NSO that I used back when I was a student nurse had been expired. After countless reminder, I did not pay attention to it because at that time, I was studying for the NCLEX. Final reminder was October and didn't pass my boards until November. Anyway, I am currently unemployed and as I have been looking jobs these past few weeks and I just recently thought of my liability insurance. I tried to renew it but according to NSO, after the final reminder, the policy can no longer be reinstated. I also checked my account on NSO and there were no policies listed.

So, I tried to buy a new policy, first question is it ask me of my state residence. I currently reside in Maryland but my license is in PA. If I typed in MD, will the insurance cover me where ever I work at...specifically in PA? Second question, it asked me if I am employed, self employed, or a student. I currently do not fit into those categories. I am aware that new grads receive a 50% discount during their first year as an RN. One thing though, I am still looking for a job and am not working at the moment.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Why start paying for again before you need it? Why not get the new policy once you accept a job offer?

Specializes in retired LTC.

Renew the policy.

An NSO policy is usually around $108, or about $9 /month. That's about the monthly cost of 1 super, duper coffee mocha café latte with whipped topping and a cherry on top.

Altho this is prob the remote-est of remote possibilities, even students can be named in a lawsuit. As it is, there's usually a delay between dates of care and when a lawsuit may be filed. So legal representation would be avail for OP if nec for something in the past. Same logic can apply to a currently UN-employed nurse.

OP - identify Maryland as your home state. I live in NJ but have worked in Penna & Del without problem.

And re your #2 question, I understand your needing an "UNEMPLOYED" category but not one there. Why not give NSO a call and ask them, also ask about the discount. Technically, this would be your first year so your fee would avg out to about $50.

Specializes in Progressive Care, Sub-Acute, Hospice, Geriatrics.

Thanks I'll give them a call. Also I can't renew the policy at its no longer listed so I have to buy a new policy for RN instead of Student nurse which I had previously.

Thanks for the replies y'all!

Specializes in retired LTC.

Still, for $9/month you can't beat that price. I'm sure your auto insurance or health insurance costs more.

Thanks I'll give them a call. Also I can't renew the policy at its no longer listed so I have to buy a new policy for RN instead of Student nurse which I had previously.

Thanks for the replies y'all!

You would have had to contact them and change your status anyway, since your student nurse coverage will no longer cover you once you're no longer a student nurse.

Still, for $9/month you can't beat that price. I'm sure your auto insurance or health insurance costs more.

Of course they cost more, because car and health insurance actually end up paying out claims.

+ Add a Comment