"Sharing Humour"

Nursing Students General Students

Published

So in class today, the teacher confirmed something for me: when medical professionals make jokes, it's not to help the patients like they claim, it's really for themselves (providing some distance between themselves and the patient).

I'm still upset over the doctor I had during my teenage years and a nursing friend I had during those years cracking jokes about my body issues, and wanting to be treated like heroes afterward. Hopefully this will help lessen my discomfort when I go to clinical.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.
I am in awe over here that you are so willing to speak out. Thank you for sharing!

I take the POV if speaking out helps at least one other person its a good thing.

As for black humour. My mum and mine's standing joke over the last 6 months of her life was that we were going to play 'ding dong the witch" is dead at her funeral

I told her if she didnt like that song we could always go with Queen's "Another one bites the dust"

It made us giggle.

When she did pass and I was sitting with her waiting for the funeral director to collect her, I told her my sisters would never allow me to play the song so I played it for her while we waited

"Try and joke about my ability to eat an entire pizza by myself, and I am not laughing with you. "

Good that you know there's a difference.

""See you at your next amputation, Betty!" Of course I don't want that to happen, and if I allowed myself to think about it, especially hitting close to home, I'd be in tears. Often times, so would the patient."

So you don't do it. Excellent.

"I generally don't use humor until I know my patient well (think 6+ hours into the shift)"

You think 6 hours is long enough?

"So, in essence, Dinatg, you are assisting me on my road to happiness and a higher consciousness by reminding me of Mr. Bach's truism and what I need to both teach and learn!"

So, reading between the lines, you feel like I've wronged you?

"You will absolutely find yourself using humor."

Makes me want to keep going just to prove you wrong.

"If you are hoping to be a registered nurse you need to take your own issues out of the equation. Your patients need you to provide a service, professionally and appropriately without you bringing your own baggage to the table. ",

" it has the potential to make you an incredibly unsafe nurse who does more harm than good. "

Yes, unlike "professionals" who think they're God's gift to their patients by humiliating them when they're in a position of vulnerability.

"You missed the point, I laugh with the patient, not at!"

Heard that one before.

"I called him "rotten brain boy" in front of one the cancer radiologists"

Rotten brain boy? Really?

"Or maybe nursing school with help you mature emotionally. "

Can think of some people it didn't help.

"And before you want to tell me what an appalling human being I am. "

At least I'm not the only person in this thread being defensive.

" I had to deal with a nurse who forced me to strip naked in front of six nurses, three of them male. Who illegally restrained and secluded me (which interestingly enough I didnt find out this was illegal until I did my mental health placement) and then proceeded to lie about it in the offical documentation."

Odds are you weren't the only one.

"And the whole experience taught me so much about the type of nurse I will never ever be."

Good. I should do the same.

"I'm convinced Dinatg is a troll but it was worth it to read your response."

Does it make me more or less of a troll that I came back?

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

"You missed the point, I laugh with the patient, not at!"

""Heard that one before.

"I called him "rotten brain boy" in front of one the cancer radiologists"

Rotten brain boy? Really?"""

When the patient is also laughing and thanks you for making them feel better, yes, it is with the patient. It is all in the context, and using the rapport established with them, not the first thing that comes out of your mouth.

and yes, really! Again, you don't know the context that that came from, my son and I have a great relationship. He thought it was hilarious.

I'm done, you seem determined not to hear what any of us have to say, trying to show that there is no one way of building a relationship with patients. Treating each as the individual they are, as you stand (or sit) with them, some need humor, some need seriousness, some don't want to engage. Respond to each individual's need.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

We wish the original poster the best in whatever decision they need to make. Good advice has been provided by members....

+ Add a Comment