Found a Knife, Scared

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi Everyone,

I am needing some advice. I had a confrontation about a few months ago with another employee that resulted that employee transferring to another unit. However his friends still work with me in my dept and it has been hell

After being off for a week, I opened my locker which had a lock and found a huge knife positioned there. It does not belong to me and either I accidentally left my locker open or someone picked my lock which looks like an easy thing to do according to youtube. I feel that this is a huge threat to my safety. I filed a police report and everything. Along with alerting management. However the hospital police states they cannot do anything about it. I told them if anything happens to me they will be responsible.

My question is with all the shooting and stabbing in the workplace, schools ect, i dont want to take any chances. What is the probability we will find out who did this? What else can I do? I want them to find out who this person is because something like that is not a joke. I am willing to do everything. Thank you all in advance.

Specializes in PICU, Sedation/Radiology, PACU.

You are in a hostile work environment. Unless management and police can prove who put the knife in your locker (which is unlikely unless there are cameras inside the locker room) these co-workers are unlikely to face any consequences. Your safest option is to find another job ASAP and not tell your co-workers where you are going.

Oh my Lord! Get the hell out of there and watch your back. Agree with the above poster to not disclose your new job or where you live. I'd also recommend a home security system. I hope they were just trying to scare you without any true intent but you just never know. Stay safe please

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

This is pretty bizarre...make sure the hospital CEO, Board of Directors, and everyone on the administrative/management food chain is informed of this. Forward them the police report, then ask for their assistance in the matter. They might not want this "out there" for the community to read about and it may compel them to be more interested in identifying the culprit and bringing things to a conclusion.

Best of luck! Let us know how it progresses.

"I told them if anything happens to me they will be responsible. " No, YOU are responsible for your safety.

I have been threatening verbally and.. in a different situation, with an open fill needle placed in my lab coat jacket. I chose to stay and watch my back. I had security walk me to my car.

Only you know if it's time to say when.

Best wishes.

Thank you all for the response, I definitely will put my safety first.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

I would be looking for another job. I sure would take that kind of threat seriously as you did. I also would not let anyone know if you are looking for other employment. I also like the idea OldDude mentioned as well.

Okay, I know nothing about this - but isn't HR kind of the go-to officials for harassment complaints? Kind of the ones whose job it is to deal with workplace-related problems like this? Again, I don't know, but it seems like a written complaint/statement should be given directly to them.

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.
Okay, I know nothing about this - but isn't HR kind of the go-to officials for harassment complaints? Kind of the ones whose job it is to deal with workplace-related problems like this? Again, I don't know, but it seems like a written complaint/statement should be given directly to them.

HR doesn't care & only protects the company. I've been there & nothing happens.

Right. I guess what I meant was there are people whose job it is to officially receive these complaints. I mean, to me, reporting it to NM is kind of like telling the next doctor you pass in the hallway. HR is the official keeper of employee records, etc. Regardless of anything else isn't it kinda dumb to have HR be able to say, "We received no such notification and knew nothing about this"? "The employee never reported this"?

another question, i wanted to ask you guys, i was told by the police to discard the evidence the weapon but I refuse to do so because if anything happens to me that is evidence. They didnt even do fingerprints, I have contacted HR and have followed chain of command. I will not give up until this is resolved, I was even thinking of getting a lawyer at this point. What is everyones opinion? I dont feel safe going back to work but my manager seems like I definitely cannot miss work. My concern is what if we dont find out. someone else either his friends must know who did this right? I hope it eventually comes out. could this be a group effort

another question, i wanted to ask you guys, i was told by the police to discard the evidence the weapon but I refuse to do so because if anything happens to me that is evidence. They didnt even do fingerprints, I have contacted HR and have followed chain of command. I will not give up until this is resolved, I was even thinking of getting a lawyer at this point. What is everyones opinion? I dont feel safe going back to work but my manager seems like I definitely cannot miss work. My concern is what if we dont find out. someone else either his friends must know who did this right? I hope it eventually comes out. could this be a group effort

Cops don't have time to investigate perceived threats. Your manager and HR do not give a rat's patooti about this issue, YOU are now the problem to them. What do expect a lawyer can do?

+ Add a Comment