My job was spared...

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nursing.

I met with my boss this morning and was told that the 3 district nurses positions will be continued next year but that our building nurses will be impacted. That we were expecting but I'm seriously shocked that they didn't cut one of us at the district level. I was told that my position after next year is really contingent on a taxpayer levy being passed in November (haven't passed one in 11 years not that we haven't tried) and our district finally getting their act together in terms of Third Party Billing and recouping some costs. If those things don't happen she said she can't save me next year.

Still don't know the status of my kids' school. The proposition to close it will be on the school board meeting agenda tonight. I will be going to the meeting.

Our school guidance counselor (who is AMAZING!) had her position cut in half which she can't afford so she will be resigning.

Ugh. This has been an awful, awful day. :(

Ug. How frustrating.

I'm glad your position was saved.

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i never like to hear about someone getting any sort of cut - especially when so much is asked of us. I am glad that you were spared.

Specializes in NCSN.

At least your boss is being transparent rather than stringing you along. I am glad that your job is being saved and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little one's school. With the whole teacher strike going on in OK, I keep reading comments on articles about how people who work in the education field "chose those jobs knowing what they would be paid", "shouldn't be treated different than the rest of us working two jobs", "are obviously under qualified or they would be at the university level", etc and it gets me SO MAD. Everyone likes to say that education should be a priority but when it comes to putting money towards it by raising taxes, it's immediately shot down.

Sending good vibes and hopeful thoughts to your school community

Specializes in School nursing.

Yay for your job! Are you thinking you will stay? I know you were torn and were thinking the position would be eliminated. Here's hoping for your school tonight!

(But ugh for your counselor. A full school counselor is essential, IMO. My school is actually adding another full-time counseling position due to need.)

+ Add a Comment