Transferring to a new unit. Giving notice -- Email or in person?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi All,

I think I already know the answer to this, but I wanted to get your opinion.

I currently work on an IV team (per-diem) at a hospital, and interviewed twice in the last couple of weeks for a new job in urgent care (per-diem). The nurse manager of the urgent care emailed me today to let me know that I got the job. My question is should i email the manager of the IV team and let her know I am giving my notice of 2-3 weeks before I transfer to the urgent care or should I tell her in person (I would have to drive up there to tell her because I am not scheduled to work again for another week).

Annie

In my opinion, you should deliver it in person. Then, after meeting with her, I would email a copy, and reference the previous meeting; this provides an electronic trail of date submitted.

There is another issue you should consider, even though you are per diem. As this is a transfer within the system, does a transfer date need to be agreed upon by your current manager?

Best wishes.

Hi,

I just emailed the UC nurse manager and she would like a May 1 start, which is totally reasonable in my opinion, as it gives my current manager a month! I will hear from HR probably in the next day or two with more info, but a month is reasonable and I believe the managers will agree on that.

Thank you for your input!

Annie

Specializes in ER.

Why not stay Per Diem at both jobs? That's the beauty of Per Diem, it gives you options and flexibility. What if the new job is a coven of witches from Hades? Then you'd pick up more shifts at your IV job of course!

The professional thing to do is always deliver it in person and then immediately send a thank you email to follow-up, this way you give them the curtousy of looking them in the eye and have the electronic trail.

Quitting is like breaking up with someone. Some communications are better handled in person if at all feasible.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

We can actually quit online now, and the website says "no need to write a letter!"

Apparently nobody's interested in any potential performance-improving feedback...

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Both. Talk to your manager in person to let her know. At the same time or shortly afterwards, deliver a hard-copy (email, letter, website, whatever your facility requires) to her and HR so there is official documentation in your record.

Why not stay Per Diem at both jobs? That's the beauty of Per Diem, it gives you options and flexibility. What if the new job is a coven of witches from Hades? Then you'd pick up more shifts at your IV job of course!

I thought about that, but I really am not excited about working on the IV team. I did it for three years and I am so very bored, it is just to monotonous for me. I like a faster pace with various patients etc. I also like orthopedic injuries and pediatric patients, so I should get a bit of both in the urgent care.

The IV team has also fallen apart as far as being a team. There was a change in management and people are just not getting along as well, and we have been chronically short staffed, which I know can happen anywhere. Anyway, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

I work full time 48 hours a week as a medic, so I really don't need two per-diem jobs, as there are OODLES of OT on the ambulance which pays for!

Annie

+ Add a Comment