Off the floor jobs?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Specializes in Acute Rehab, Neuro/Trauma, Dialysis.

So I have been fighting increasingly worse back pain since before nursing school. It has built to a point now where its becoming difficult to do my job. The pain radiates down the back of my legs and gets to the point were my hands start to shake. I work in outpatient dialysis, I never sit and I have to do some heavy lifting and I'm at the point now were I mainly do CVCs because my hands shake too much for me to feel comfortable doing fistulas and grafts. I have recently been diagnosed with AS and will be starting Humira which will increase my risk of contacting hepatitis and TB. I was wondering what type of work I could look for that would take me away from the bedside. I am currently looking at case management.

Specializes in Pediatric Critical Care.

I just started in case management this past January. It is a TOTALLY different world of nursing. The learning curve has been steep, but I am glad that I did it.

Right now I am in a hospital-based job, but someday I might move on to a work-at-home type of insurance case management job, who knows? Right now I am working 9-5, M-F as the case manager for an ICU. I have an office, my own phone, business cards....it's a totally new type of work environment than I have ever had before. I spend part of my day visiting each patient who is admitted and speaking to them or their family to find out what resources they already have and what things I might need to help coordinate for them. I spend a TON of time on the phone with insurance companies and home health care companies. I really like the work, but it is very busy, and now that I am salary instead of hourly there is no OT pay....

There is a case management section on AN....maybe you should post there to get more info?

+ Add a Comment