Has anyone else had a nurse manager swear during an interview?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi all,

I went on an interview several days ago and was taken aback by the nurse manager, who swore (not at me of course, but during our conversation), not once, but twice!

One of the interviewers I knew, so I am not sure if that made her to comfortable, or what. It was a little awkward and I totally would not ever expect that to happen, especially during an interview.

I was also a bit put off because when I asked to speak to a staff member the nurse manager stayed in the room, as if the staff member is going to be honest with me with her in the room. Just odd, I figured most managers would pick up on the fact that that was intended as a private interaction so that I could truly elicit if it was a decent place to work!

Overall one of the most awkward interviews I have had, ever!!

Annie

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Yup, did an interview for a travel position and she said some curse words, I said some curse words. I took the job , she was the best manager I ever worked for.

Honestly the manager swearing would have made me feel more at ease and relaxed but that's just me lol

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

I'm inclined to trust people a little more when they swear in front of me.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
I'm inclined to trust people a little more when they swear in front of me.

That's actually borne out in research - people who swear are more honest.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I wouldn't have been uncomfortable with the swearing, although I myself don't cuss in any sort of interview situation no matter which side of the desk I'm sitting on. I do have something of a potty mouth though, and I'm very comfortable around people who talk like me. I once had a nurse manager who swore like a truck driver when we weren't on the floor, and we got along famously. But neither of us would ever cuss around patients---that's utterly unprofessional. Bottom line, there is a time and a place when swearing is OK; it's human nature, and sometimes there is no substitute for letting it rip. But only if you know when *not* to.

+ Add a Comment