Question about Medical City...

U.S.A. Texas

Published

Hi, have a job interview for a tech position at Medical City next week. I am from out of State planning to move to Texas. Schools and rents are less expensive in Texas is the big drive for Texas.

Curious if anyone can give any insight to working with Medical City? Pros or cons?

Currently make $22 an hour at my local area hospital. Hoping to make somewhere between $15 to $16 an hr in Texas.

Appreciate the insight can offer up.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Techs in Texas make in the $13-15 range generally speaking. You may get close to $16, but HCA is notorious for low pay.

Which "Medical City" are you going to? All the HCA hospitals are "Medical City" in the DFW area, followed by the name of the municipality it serves.

Medical City pays about $12- $13 an hr for techs. The cost of living is not as affordable as people would like to think here, unless you live in a small Texas town, your rent will be more than $800 a month, plus utilities and travel expenses. Which is very tight since you will be making less than $18. I also get concerned when I read about people moving here and them making the comment about how more affordable things are especially since, our homeless population has swelled.

Medical City pays about $12- $13 an hr for techs. The cost of living is not as affordable as people would like to think here, unless you live in a small Texas town, your rent will be more than $800 a month, plus utilities and travel expenses. Which is very tight since you will be making less than $18. I also get concerned when I read about people moving here and them making the comment about how more affordable things are especially since, our homeless population has swelled.

I do apreciate the concern and feedback. I do hope wife and my research on Texas is the truth.

I found a few gigs that pay $15 to $20 an hour. About 20 rents $1000 or less. Even with the pay cut I be making the same or maybe $100 less after you take taxes out here and in Texas. The bigger Cities in Texas have more rental options outside of Austin found only a few. San Antonio and Dallas had a good amount.

Also with some research gas is about $1.50 less, taxes are significantly ess, food is less, less travel requirement (Lot of affordable rents close to places could work), tuition once eligible is significantly less ($20,000 less), healthcare & insurance is less, and few other thing's are more cost effective in Texas.

Specializes in PICU.

Idk about Medical City, but if you don't mind kids, Children's pays pretty well. I interviewed at Medical City with no experience and was offered $13/hr (which was less than I was making as an MA). I went to Children's and was offered $16 to start with no hospital experience, plus night/weekend shift diffs. And you can work at the Plano campus.

Specializes in PCT.

Let's just say from a fellow tech to another...Don't even interview with Medical City. From experience, I know very well about the low pay and it is true. So yeah, try UT, Parkland, Children's, Baylor or Texas Health, but avoid Medical City and Methodist.

Found jobs in my current position with Parkland, Methodist, Medical City, Texas Health, and part time job at Children's Health. Nothing at UT or Baylor. Did find with UT in Houston. Also found 1 position in my field at Seton in Austin and 1 at Northeast Texas Baptist Health in San Antonio.

Found about 4 to 5 with the State as well.

Thanks for the insight.

My goal is to achieve the LPN and work for a county detention facility go for my ASN or BSN. Then when I get the BSN stay with the Government job and look into the Reserves maybe.

Heard there still is 7 LPN to BSN programs in Texas.

Found jobs in my current position with Parkland, Methodist, Medical City, Texas Health, and part time job at Children's Health. Nothing at UT or Baylor. Did find with UT in Houston. Also found 1 position in my field at Seton in Austin and 1 at Northeast Texas Baptist Health in San Antonio.

Found about 4 to 5 with the State as well.

Thanks for the insight.

My goal is to achieve the LPN and work for a county detention facility go for my ASN or BSN. Then when I get the BSN stay with the Government job and look into the Reserves maybe.

Heard there still is 7 LPN to BSN programs in Texas.

Great, go with THR or Children's. Good luck on your journey.

Is there any LPN or RN programs in the McKinney area of Texas? I heard the community college has a Medic to RN transition program; any truth to that?

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Collin College has a paramedic to RN program. Placement is highly competitive. They are located in McKinney.

Specializes in ER, HH, Case Management.

West Texas A&M University: Nursing (LVN) Program

Just saying... Currently RN to BSN and I like how the school operates.

+ Add a Comment