I need to quit this job

Nurses General Nursing

Published

This time it isn't my fault! (See post history)

First off, thanks to everyone past and present that has helped me with the rough beginning of my nursing careers. Lots of growing pains here. Anyhow, it turns out that I may have adult ADHD along with my anxiety and depression. Good news is I know what I need to do. Sorry.

ANYWAYS. On to the question.

I just started this home health job. Which is nice because I have one patient (who is very sweet btw!). However it's my first day and of when I came to the home, I didn't have any orientation. I was given the address to the home and off I went.

i don't have any patient information. No proper med list. No DNR status. No diet forms (they are apparently on two specialized diets). Nothing. Plus one of the family members is prohibited from the state to take care of this person so he is installing cameras to prove that a nurse can't do better than him.

And iiiiiii don't know guys, it feels really sketchy. I'm assigned to this person all week. Is it okay to just quit? Even if they may not have anyone to cover for me absent shifts?

I feel really weird about it

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

They should never have sent you to that home without a report. It seems to me there are two choices here. You can stick it out after talking to your supervisor and either get a new assignment/ or same one after a thorough report or start looking for other employment ( another agency that does give a report ). I did home health for years and I was always given a heads up on the homes I visited. As mentioned, it is easier to get a new job if you are currently employed it seems.

Specializes in LTC.
It is possible they were starting you there off the cuff so to speak. You might want to give them a day or two to get it together. If you have not been provided without even a skeleton Form 485, plan of care, by your third day on the job, I would resign from the case and from the agency. You are right, you should have been given a verbal intro by the nursing supervisor, even if only to say, we are starting off the cuff, pt is vent dependent, with little to no family support, etc., etc., a med list (which is supposed to be on the 485), contact info for the PCP (also on the 485), a set of blank forms for you to start the MAR, TAR, etc. Like I said, if they don't get you something by the third shift, I would leave the agency (letter of resignation), and go to another agency. This agency would probably do the same thing with each new case and you don't need the lack of competence on their part. Furthermore, you need to make a personal decision about your ability to work in a home with video cameras going, especially since the caregiver speaks of the negative back story for having cameras. Many nurses refuse to work while being videotaped. That is your right. Just refuse such cases across the board if you decide you don't want the added worrry about providing free lawsuit fodder.

So today is a brand new day and shift. I work 9am to 8pm today. My RN said she would give me patient information BEFORE my shift. It was 9:20 and she was not there. I REFUSE to enter this home without the information that I need. I called to quit and this woman sat on the phon with me BEGGING me not to quit for 10 MINUTES. She said to give her another chance and the case came out of nowhere and they just needed someone to cover. I feel bad but this is so unprofessional

Specializes in LTC.

I have an interview with a reputable home health company today which I'm very excited about. This agency I'm currently working for... I feel bad. It's a small business by a married couple but I feel like they are so clueless. I was promised information before my shift today but the woman didn't show up with the information. As a result, I called to quit and she sat on the phone with me for 10 minutes begging me not to. I feel bad and I don't know what to do

Specializes in LTC.
Sending you into a home flying blind like that is not ok. That being said, for some reason it's easier to get a job if you have a job so if you can stick it out while you are looking for another job you won't have yet another employment gap to explain during your job hunt.

Oh really? I didn't know that? Thank you

Specializes in LTC.
Another thought, if you have not already done so, obtain malpractice insurance. That case should make it clear to you why personal malpractice insurance is necessary for one's peace of mind.

Lol yup! I purchased my insurance though NSO the minute I obtained my license! I know odd things happen!

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

Good luck with your interview. Hope it works out. I would not feel too bad about the one you are with now though. They are the ones not doing right by you and in the long run, if something happens, they may not stick up for you. Anyways, I do wish you well on your upcoming interview.

Lol yup! I purchased my insurance though NSO the minute I obtained my license! I know odd things happen!

If you knew how many times these "bad" birds have made it obvious they were flying for lawsuit material (because they actually talk about it), then you would think the odd things are common occurrences, not coincidences. Some clients of long term home health care think that the money tree extends to all of their caregiving resources (agencies and nurses) as well as the governmental sources of their 'income'.

Specializes in LTC.
Good luck with your interview. Hope it works out. I would not feel too bad about the one you are with now though. They are the ones not doing right by you and in the long run, if something happens, they may not stick up for you. Anyways, I do wish you well on your upcoming interview.

Thank you. I really appreciate it!

Specializes in NICU.

Present your case to the agency give them the option get it together or you will be working else where, document the conversation,forget about patient abandonment .....if anything happens and you had accepted an unsafe assignment with limited resources, working with cameras then it is on you.

As for abandonment you can always report the agency for their unsafe practice.An angry relative in a home with you is a ticking time bomb.

I've been in denial about my issues. I've spoken to therapist who urge me to take my medicine but I hate taking it because it makes me feel like I'm a crazy person. But I know that I need it.

The OP is either trolling or in need of serious mental health. Either way we should all probably stop encouraging them.

Specializes in LTC.
Present your case to the agency give them the option get it together or you will be working else where, document the conversation,forget about patient abandonment .....if anything happens and you had accepted an unsafe assignment with limited resources, working with cameras then it is on you.

As for abandonment you can always report the agency for their unsafe practice.An angry relative in a home with you is a ticking time bomb.

I agree. So I went in this morning and the family member told me that my services are done. The patient made the decision to end care with our company. Family advised it had nothing to do with me. Yesterday my boss showed up trying to convince the pt not to cancel but ultimately did anyways. My boss didn't tell me that so I showed up at this morning for NO REASON. I'm done

Specializes in LTC.
The OP is either trolling or in need of serious mental health. Either way we should all probably stop encouraging them.

Not trolling and currently in a good please taking my meds :) thanks for your concern!

+ Add a Comment