Am I To Late?

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

Hi, I'm still looking for any suggestions on how to get back into nursing at 63. I haven't practiced since 2011. I did take a Nurse Refresher Course in 2015. I haven't been able to secure a position. I'm looking for a part time job. I've gone on a few interviews, but once I'm there they tell me I need recent experience. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Specializes in Geri - Edu - Infection Control - QAPI.

Have you tried staffing agencies? Are you only looking for part time? What type of nursing have you done?

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
Have you tried staffing agencies? Are you only looking for part time? What type of nursing have you done?

Per the latest JCAHO requirements, staffing agencies are not allowed to schedule a nurse to any area where s/he does not have experience in the past year.

OP, they can tell by your resume how recent your experience is. It's really crappy that they waste your time with an interview to tell you that. This is a clear case of age discrimination. I wish I could think of a good suggestion. If you haven't found anything by fall, mobile and on-site flu shot clinics might be a place to start. Good luck.

Age discrimination is alive and well in nursing and next to impossible to prove. Can you do any volunteer? I know you would not be doing hands-on but perhaps it could help you get connected.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Have you thought about pediatric PDN / in-home care? ALWAYS looking for staff, 1:1 care and once you settle in with a client and family you like- it's almost like not working.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will look into volunteering. Thanks

I have tried the agencies. They say the same, no recent experience. I attended a Nurse Refresher Course in 2015 thinking this would allow me to get my foot back in the door, it didn't. I only wanted a part time position. I think I'll try volunteering. Other than that, I'm done and it's ok. Thanks for your suggestions.

+ Add a Comment