Transferring Medicaid from one state to another

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, school nursing.

Does anyone have any advice about transferring Medicaid from one state to another? I have a student who transferred from Illinois to Texas at the beginning of the semester, and is here living with family (not parents). She needs to get in to see a doctor, and when she tried to go to our local low-cost clinic, she says she was turned away. I tried researching it online, but the only links I could find were for the elderly.

CHIP and Children's Medicaid | How to Get Help

It doesn't sound like it transfers, but any relative who is residing with the child can apply for them

Specializes in Pediatrics, school nursing.

Thank you; I'll let them know.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

It doesn't "transfer" like my insurance does. Someone will have to reapply in the new state on the student's behalf.

If you are in Texas the child should be able to go to their local county health department for a low cost visit and they will also be able to help them get Medicaid/ChIp started here in Texas.

Specializes in School nursing.
It doesn't "transfer" like my insurance does. Someone will have to reapply in the new state on the student's behalf.

Yep, that is what I was thinking as well. New paperwork is needed for the new state.

As many barriers as possible to keep people from accessing care, yep, there is my political rant for the day.

Medicaid is not transferable between states, largely because states have so many different rules for eligibility.

+ Add a Comment