Possible future educator--need advice!

Specialties Educators

Published

Hi all,

I'm just seeking some advice from those more experienced than myself! I have been a RN for about two years, and I am about halfway through a part-time MSN-FNP program, although I have not started any clinical courses yet.

I am mostly interested in teaching as an instructor, rather than working in a full-time clinical capacity once I finish my degree.

So, I find myself asking whether I should switch to a MS in Nursing Education program to specifically focus on what I am interested in (hopefully many of my credits would transfer and it wouldn't be a huge loss)? Or continue with my FNP and all the clinical courses required, eventually obtain my DNP and teach with that? Either way, I hope to teach in some capacity, it's just a matter of deciding the most effective and efficient way to get to that point.

Thanks in advance!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

If you don't want to be an NP, don't become one.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

I agree with Pixie, but to be honest, the FNP could be very useful to you in the case of an economic downturn or supplementary income. I have zero desire to work as a nurse practitioner but have still toyed around with the idea of getting a postgraduate certificate to become one. I like having open options.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Tele, Psych.

Bumping for more advice! I love to teach/educate my patients and other nurses...but I'm hesitant to get a MSN in education because I don't want to lose opportunities.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Academics.

Some schools offer a post-grad nursing education certificate, if that path interests you.

+ Add a Comment