California School Nurse Pay-Contractor

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in PMHNP-BC.

I am meeting with a non-traditional high school tomorrow about completing IEP and health assessments for the students. They have group home, drug addicted, and teen mothers (mostly) at the school. I have worked in prison for a long time and I thought it might be nice to try and change some paths before they get to me...but I have no idea what my salary expectation should be (I tried to research it but couldn't find contractor rates only salary for FT individuals, seems like it is a secret lol). Here are the facts

They say I will be an independent contractor without benefits and that they only need help completing around 60 IEPs this year but that they are flexible with my hours.

They anticipate an IEP taking 2 hours.

I currently make $68/hr in my current role which is completely different and may not apply at all

I will be driving 1 hour each way to the school

The school is near Modesto, CA.

Thanks for any information/advice you can give.

Specializes in School nursing.

$68/hr?? Wow! I have never heard of a school nursing related job paying that makes that much money personally. Even when I had to use an agency for a sub nurse, top was about $45/hour and I knew that $45/hr was to the agency, and not what the nurse was taking home. (Non agency subs make much, much less.)

Are you qualified in CA to complete IEP's and the health histories/vision and hearing exams needed? (that is what the RN is responsible for in IL, and you ahve to be a certified school nurse or have taken designation course work through the state).

And JentheSchoolRN i think she means she is currently making $68/hr not as a school nurse.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

You'll not take home $68/hour, and that drive is long. However, you have a great set of skills for the population with whom you'd work, and you might be able to share some great wisdom with them. Good luck!

Specializes in School nursing.
Are you qualified in CA to complete IEP's and the health histories/vision and hearing exams needed? (that is what the RN is responsible for in IL, and you ahve to be a certified school nurse or have taken designation course work through the state).

And JentheSchoolRN i think she means she is currently making $68/hr not as a school nurse.

Oh, I figured that. I was just commenting that the OP can't expect that rate in the school nursing world.

Specializes in PMHNP-BC.
Oh, I figured that. I was just commenting that the OP can't expect that rate in the school nursing world.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I understand and that is why I said my current pay may not apply at all. I just was looking for a ballpark I should ask for, turns out they offered $60 as a contractor, I am happy with that since it is around my schedule. I will try it out and hopefully really enjoy it! Thank you everyone.

Specializes in PMHNP-BC.

cid1,

I submitted for my certification and in CA you can work as soon as you submit for the cert. I also had my fingerprints done on Friday. I am going to training to learn the IEP process so I think it will be exciting. Thank you for asking though, it would have been crushing to get there and realize I was totally unqualified. Although I have a lot to learn, we all start somewhere. Keep your fingers crossed for me and the students lol...

+ Add a Comment