Confidentiality

Specialties School

Published

I am quite a distance down the hall from the front office, I am actually in a suite with the counseling office. There is quite a bit of traffic in our area. So many kids, teachers, parents that look in my door and see and hear what is going on. Drives me crazy!!!

The front office will send parents down who basically want a conference with me at the worst times (slammed busy, passing meds, on the phone with a parent.) These parents come in and expect me to drop everything for them. They will stand at my door and listen to my conversations even when I ask them to wait outside until I am available.

I am not talking about parents here to pick up an ill child or to drop off meds. I am talking about the ones that want to talk to you 30 minutes because they are upset that their kid's teacher would not let them use the restroom or they got a letter about immunizations and they want you to explain it to them line by line.

I have even passed the secretary in the front office to take a student out to their car in a wheelchair and will have a parent waiting for me in the clinic when I get back.

I have asked my admin to at least have the front office call me to see if I am available before sending them down. It was poo poo'd by admin - front office is too busy to call me.

Am I wrong in thinking that student care and confidentiality takes precedence over meeting with parents over non-urgent matters??? Parents aren't allowed to go in and out of classrooms while there is teaching but it is ok for the clinic???

I have thought about keeping my door close but there is no window and with the amount of traffic I have, it would be nonstop opening and knocking.

I am really not looking for solution, I just needed to vent a little.

Everyone else in the building can be at lunch, or in another meeting or unavailable but the freaking nurse!!!!

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I am going to document, document, document specific scenarios and go back to admin in a few week with that plus specific info about Ferpa,Hippa and examples of how things can get started on social media.

I have been here a few years. Prior office staff were wonderful about stopping parents in their tracks. New front office staff that are always just "too busy" to do their own job and admin not wanting to make waves with them.

Specializes in School Nurse.
Actually, HIPPA is just as important as FERPA, soooooo...maybe your admin needs to be reminded of that??

It's HIPAA and unless you have some sort of electronic insurance billing going on in your clinic (we certainly do not), you are not a "covered entity" that HIPAA applies to.

It's HIPAA and unless you have some sort of electronic insurance billing going on in your clinic (we certainly do not), you are not a "covered entity" that HIPAA applies to.

Don't you have to do medicaid billing? We bill for any ESE students that we do nursing services or procedures on. If you don't, make sure you don't mention it to your district, it's a total pain and you don't want to start something!

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
Don't you have to do medicaid billing? We bill for any ESE students that we do nursing services or procedures on. If you don't, make sure you don't mention it to your district, it's a total pain and you don't want to start something!

OMG...so true!!

Specializes in NCSN.

That sounds awful :(

+ Add a Comment