Has an Excelsior grad ever worked in Colorado?

U.S.A. Colorado

Published

I was considering going through EC's ASN program but am holding off until I check some things out. One being that Colorado will not license an EC grad.

I called EC and they assured me EC nurses are licensed in Colorado but then I called the BON in Colorado and some hob snob woman told me Colorado has never and will never license an EC grad to work in Colorado as an RN.

I just need to get the real deal.

This would be an issue because in the future we may move to Colorado (live in Tennessee currently)

will colorado let you write the state board? if you graduate from the 'wrong school' ?

good question. this is an issue to me too--- how much school do i have to retake to get an rn?

my profession as a training developer is over because it bottomed out due to the mid-manager culture and age discrimination problems in the corporate culture that i had my previous career-- so i must do something else for a living. i am 50 and counselors have told me to give-up the corporate live due to the realities hiring practices.

i have 2 bs degrees--- chemistry and science education/secondary-- i was a science teacher and then went into corporate education.

i also have a ms from utah state university in instructional design- i was a training developer and wrote science textbooks, science and technical training, and media products for 15 years.

i have been an lpn since 1980 and practiced practical nursing between writing contract jobs---- and now would like to write the state board for an rn. --- for goodness sake i do nearly everything an rn does on the floor anyway!

still it appears to do it colorado's way that i will have to retake lots of lower division' science' classes to even get on the "rn" school waiting list. -- with rn program waiting lists and soforth- it will take me three years from today to get an rn-- this means $$$ losses to me of about 200k in income loss as opposed to doing a quicky online program---

(folks, that is the cost of a nice home)

these online programs reviewed my transcripts and say that all i need is to do seven courses-- and do a weekend competentancy evaluation-- but i also heard that some states will not accept it for the rn exams. so what am i to do--- i will reject the state of colorado and just move to a state that accepts the exam--- and not loose $ 200k--- in income!

i am a training developer with an ms degree and 15 years experience-- and when reviewing the content of the online courses, i estimate i could complete the course work in less than six months-- and just fly over to another state and pass the board exam elsewhere---sell my home and colorado and live in whereever else and make $$$ as an rn---

bye bye colorado then---

I'd call the BON again and talk to someone different. As far as i know, the only state that doesn't acknowledge Excelsior (Regent's) College is ILlinois.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Peds, Ortho, LTC and MORE.
I was considering going through EC's ASN program but am holding off until I check some things out. One being that Colorado will not license an EC grad.

I called EC and they assured me EC nurses are licensed in Colorado but then I called the BON in Colorado and some hob snob woman told me Colorado has never and will never license an EC grad to work in Colorado as an RN.

I just need to get the real deal.

This would be an issue because in the future we may move to Colorado (live in Tennessee currently)

When Excelsior was The University of the State of New York, I graduated from the ASN program, and took state board examination in the State of Colorado (in 1989). I passed the NCLEX and was issued a Colorado R.N. license. I also have obtained licensure in several other states without any problems.

Good luck in the program .

+ Add a Comment