Why are some nurses so miserable?

Nurses Relations

Published

You are reading page 2 of Why are some nurses so miserable?

SNB1014, RN

306 Posts

Specializes in Critical Care.

Nursing would be better served if they taught a class in the nursing rotation that dealt with reimbursement or payment structure.

For my team I taught them what the important metrics are to receive payment for services. They were also taught items that create a loss. This was a real eye opener for many, but we did see behavior change. I had the nurses tell me they were happy to know how they could contribute to their future.

Payment for services = nurses getting paid, raises at the end of the year and bonuses.

i second this!

I have a silly anecdote about reimbursement....

when i was a student in my 2nd semester clinicals I thought it was ridiculous that patients were charged a single acetaminophen tablet 150X the market price for the same generic tablet i could get at CVS(for example). So, i thought it would be "nice" of me to not charge them for dressing change materials or other POU items from the supply closet.

I (proudly!) told my clinical professor what a unique way i found i could be a "patient advocate".

She looked at me in HORROR and explained to me that every item i did not charge I should consider a personal loss of future wages, xmas bonuses, raises, etc.

I was young, dumb and green. I didn't connect the dots. Holy cow you better believe I scan every single item I take out for a patient now. Additionally, it helps the supply chain people keep track of inventory so the next time i need a Venti mask asap, I wont stare dumbfounded and angrily at the empty bin because supply chain will anticipate the need to restock.

who woulda thunk it? :-)

Specializes in Med/surg, Quality & Risk.

When I was a student I was pretty disgusted at some of the nurses who rolled their eyes, talked and laughed during report, disparaged their boss in front of us, rolled their eyes at us when we reported a concern to them, were more annoyed by us than appreciating the help they were getting from us. I also complained about them "poisoning the waters" during report by adding extraneous information about family members, the crazy stuff the patient said to them, etc.

I've only been around two years. Now I understand.

But nurses don't corner the market on misery. If there was a forum for lawyers you'd see the same thing.

OCNRN63, RN

5,978 Posts

Specializes in Oncology; medical specialty website.
I have been a RN for some time and it always amazes me how some nurses can be so unprofessional, caddy and miserable. One would think that members of profession who care for others physically, emotionally and spiritually; would behave in a way that is kind and supportive. I think that nurses who a miserable should not work in this field any longer. Why are some nurses not happy?

Nurses are people too. I don't understand what you mean when you ask why are some nurses unhappy. You aren't privy to their personal lives. For all you know that "miserable" nurse may have just found out her mother is terminally ill; has a husband who smacks her around; has a house that's being foreclosed.

Don't be so quick to judge. You never know what burdens others may be carrying but not sharing.

MatrixRn

448 Posts

Specializes in Management, Med/Surg, Clinical Trainer.

I do not see Tangel discounting someone's burden in life. The question is being asked in a bigger scope.

Yes from time to time people with have items in their lives that make them react. However, if people consistently show up to work and are unprofessional and caddy there is bound to be another reason. And that is the question.

fakebee

120 Posts

What the heck is caddy?

Editorial Team / Admin

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,662 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.
What the heck is caddy?

I believe they mean catty: spiteful. A caddy carries around one's golf clubs.

I believe they mean catty: spiteful. A caddy carries around one's golf clubs.

To point out that error is very caddy. :)

Specializes in CCM, PHN.

I was gonna say, here's someone complaining about unprofessionalism, who spells "catty" as "caddy." Talk about answering her own question.

I can tell you right now, one of the reasons I'm unhappy with nursing is because of the level of anti-intellectualism I observe every day in this profession. On the job, here on AN, at other hospitals and clinics - everywhere. I see nurses with all manner of degrees - from LPN to DPN - behaving, talking and appearing to resemble ignorant teenagers instead of the educated adults they are.

I see nurses puffing away on cigarettes, gossiping loudly using profanity and inappropriate slang, within sight or earshot of their patients. I see nurses stupidly arguing AGAINST the idea of nurses obtaining more education. I see 350 lb. nurses lecturing patients about their eating and exercise habits. I see nurses who can barely speak or spell correct, concise English. I see nurses who are too immature to problem-solve or think critically, and spend their energy defensively complaining about the rules & taking out their frustrations on co-workers & patients. I see nurses dripping in obnoxious jewelry, acrylic nails, makeup and hairspray so thick you could cut it with a knife, yet claim they don't have the time to study new guidelines or policies. I see nurses trashing other nurses, doctors and patients. I see nurses demonstrate examples of classless, unprofessional, infantile, reactionary behavior and thinking ALL. THE. TIME.

I used to speak up at work about it, but gave up on changing anything a long time ago. I honestly believe at least half of all licensed nurses in the country need a boot-camp, full-immersion semester in charm and grammar school. I'm sick of being represented by the careless image most of us project.

ShyeoftheTiger

491 Posts

To point out that error is very caddy. :)

Bahahahahaha! Hole-in-one, I say!

Specializes in Med/surg, Quality & Risk.
I was gonna say, here's someone complaining about unprofessionalism, who spells "catty" as "caddy." Talk about answering her own question.

I can tell you right now, one of the reasons I'm unhappy with nursing is because of the level of anti-intellectualism I observe every day in this profession. On the job, here on AN, at other hospitals and clinics - everywhere. I see nurses with all manner of degrees - from LPN to DPN - behaving, talking and appearing to resemble ignorant teenagers instead of the educated adults they are.

Yeahhhh I have a real problem with my manager emailing, then telling, then begging, then having the charge nurse call the nurses at home, for them to do the read-and-signs on new procedures, new BLS cards, license renewals, etc. Some of these people will come in and be reminded at the start of their shift and lead over to the area where we keep the read-and-signs, and by end of day they still haven't read and signed!!! As a manager, the length I would go to would be to give the deadline by email twice, then suspend anyone who isn't bright enough to comply. We went to college, did we not? We don't know what a deadline is? Or a priority? I'm not chasing educated people around to get them to do their job.

Specializes in ICU.

I think it was pretty clear that the OP didn't mean that ONLY nurses are miserable....She was just identifying the context of this forum....This NURSING forum.

Miserable nurses are easy to spot....they're the ones creating things to get offended about.

tangel

8 Posts

What do you think the solution is for helping nurses be happier?

+ Add a Comment