New Grad leaving NYC RN jobs to pursue CALI job?

U.S.A. California

Published

I graduated in Jan 2012. Currently, I work full time in two of the nations top hospital and I get a day off the week. I'm happy about the salary though because I have a lot of school loans... and I don't feel burnt out like people would assume. What is the average salary for New Grad in Cali?

But I eventually want to move to cali from NYC within the year or so... because I have 2 jobs in ER and ICU would I still be considered a new grad after a year?

Also I know it might be irrelevant but I noticed in my nursing cohort guys tended to land jobs much quicker then females did... Would it be easier for a guy to land a job in Cali as a new grad?

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.
Oh, this is an aside, but I forgot to mention: People around here (at least in the Bay Area) generally don't like when you refer to our state as "Cali". It is a dead give-away you are from a different state.
My mom is a middle-aged lifelong resident of California, born and raised there, and she refers to the state as 'Cali' rather frequently. However, she's a southern California native, and that might be the determining factor.

Born and raised in socal. I never knew that people who use the word "Cali" meant that they are from out of state? Lol. And if so , no one really minds or cares.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area my whole life and we use the term "Cali" here. No big deal lol.

Specializes in Med-surg.

As far as I know, NYC has an extremely tough new grad RN job market.

May I ask if you graduate from some top school like Columbia or NYU? I don't mean to be any of offense, I'm thinking going for my ADN-BSN, just trying to pick up a school and wondering if the school name will worth the big bucks tuition.

I graduated in Jan 2012. Currently, I work full time in two of the nations top hospital and I get a day off the week. I'm happy about the salary though because I have a lot of school loans... and I don't feel burnt out like people would assume. What is the average salary for New Grad in Cali?

But I eventually want to move to cali from NYC within the year or so... because I have 2 jobs in ER and ICU would I still be considered a new grad after a year?

Also I know it might be irrelevant but I noticed in my nursing cohort guys tended to land jobs much quicker then females did... Would it be easier for a guy to land a job in Cali as a new grad?

Specializes in LTC.

Haha I frequently WRITE Cali but I never say it ;). I say I'm from NorCal generally :)

Oh, this is an aside, but I forgot to mention: People around here (at least in the Bay Area) generally don't like when you refer to our state as "Cali". It is a dead give-away you are from a different state.

Lol... I am from California... just living in new york for awhile it's just easier for ppl here to understand cali compared to socal. hence the name... ;)

Your completely dramatizing base salary. New grads with BSN on average start at 78,000 and that's day shift full time at a hospital .

I don't think I ever said this was the average salary... I said MY average of both jobs at my hospital would be around 90,000 but if you misunderstood then I can tell you some hospitals pay less and some pays more...

I live in NY , interviewed with a top NYC hospital and they discussed base pay with me which was 79,000 days. Also I know manyyy ppl that work for a top cancer hospital in NYC where base salary is 78,000 ... Night differential for both is pretty good but not 90,000 good. Please give me a break. A lot of the hospitals in the city base all their pay off years of experience.

I'm sorry you didn't get the job... if you did you would find out the night differential and OT pay... but yes, hospitals do pay experience nurses more.

I don't care what he makes. But he made a statement saying that the average RN new grad makes 90k which is totally over dramatized

Yeah... you probably missed read it somewhere... But I hope you find a job! :)

+ Add a Comment